Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

The mechanic put a wrong gearbox in my Mazda 6

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 10:44 AM
Default The mechanic put a wrong gearbox in my Mazda 6

Hi!

I bought a Mazda 6 from 2014. The gearbox was vibrating when driving in 6th gear. I contacted the seller, who tried different solutions, and in the end I got another gearbox. The car does not vibrate anymore, but there is another problem - the computer cannot see when I shift to 6th gear. It keeps "thinking" that I have the 5th gear, and suggests me to switch to the 6 gear (even though I am already driving in 6th gear). The mechanic was very surprised of the fact that the gearbox does not match. So, it looks like the gearbox is ok, while the computer on the gearbox is different. The mechanic promised to fix the issue, but a long time has passed now, and he keeps postponing the work. He promises to put the correct gearbox, but I am tired of waiting.

So, my question is whether it is possible to keep the (wrong) gearbox that I have now and somehow only change the computer on it? If that is cheap, then I can probably pay for it myself and forget about this issue. Or is that a bad idea and I should get the correct gearbox?
Sorry, I do not know much about the technical aspects, but thought that maybe mazda produces several gearboxes and puts different computers on them. Then this solution should be ok?

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2020, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Is it a manual or automatic gearbox?

Old 06-01-2020, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Manual. Sorry, just received the notification email today.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Manual

Old 06-03-2020, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

I would contact your local Mazda dealer for assistance.

Old 02-25-2024, 11:35 AM
Naj
Default Mazda 6 gearbox transmission reading gear wrinkly

Originally Posted by _avocado_
Hi!

I bought a Mazda 6 from 2014. The gearbox was vibrating when driving in 6th gear. I contacted the seller, who tried different solutions, and in the end I got another gearbox. The car does not vibrate anymore, but there is another problem - the computer cannot see when I shift to 6th gear. It keeps "thinking" that I have the 5th gear, and suggests me to switch to the 6 gear (even though I am already driving in 6th gear). The mechanic was very surprised of the fact that the gearbox does not match. So, it looks like the gearbox is ok, while the computer on the gearbox is different. The mechanic promised to fix the issue, but a long time has passed now, and he keeps postponing the work. He promises to put the correct gearbox, but I am tired of waiting.

So, my question is whether it is possible to keep the (wrong) gearbox that I have now and somehow only change the computer on it? If that is cheap, then I can probably pay for it myself and forget about this issue. Or is that a bad idea and I should get the correct gearbox?
Sorry, I do not know much about the technical aspects, but thought that maybe mazda produces several gearboxes and puts different computers on them. Then this solution should be ok?

Thanks!
Hi I am having the same issue with Mazda 6 2.2 diesel manual. Recently changed the gearbox going on gear 6 it tells me I am on gear 5 while I am already on gear 6 and indicates to change to gear 6.

Your thought and help much appreciated. Thanks