General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

my Mazda 2 gearbox problem

Old 12-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Default my Mazda 2 gearbox problem

Hi everyone, hope you guys can help me.

I got a brand new mazda2, 600 kms done and I think i've got a problem.

It's got to do with the gearbox.. basically, what bothers me is shifting into the first gear and reverse.

- problem 1: I can only shift into first gear if the car isn't moving... now imagine you're going uphill in 2nd and want to change into first so you can continue.. you can't do it any other way than by stopping and then changing into first.. that seems unsafe to me. Is this normal or not?

- the second thing is i really have to press the clutch like i mean it, or shifting into first isn't smooth (in my last car that wasn't necessary.. i mean, pressing it that much)

- and the last thing is putting into reverse.. i really have to catch the right positioning when trying to put it into reverse, by that i mean that sometimes i get the handle bar only half way into the gear and have to do it again.. from my understanding this shouldn't be necessary with a brand new car [:@][:@]

Now im asking you because atm i dont have an option to try any other mazda2.. if i could i would and wouldn't bother you of course. Please help me if you know the answers, it will be much appreciated !

Old 02-02-2024, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by mazda2
Hi everyone, hope you guys can help me.

I got a brand new mazda2, 600 kms done and I think i've got a problem.

It's got to do with the gearbox.. basically, what bothers me is shifting into the first gear and reverse.

- problem 1: I can only shift into first gear if the car isn't moving... now imagine you're going uphill in 2nd and want to change into first so you can continue.. you can't do it any other way than by stopping and then changing into first.. that seems unsafe to me. Is this normal or not?

- the second thing is i really have to press the clutch like i mean it, or shifting into first isn't smooth (in my last car that wasn't necessary.. i mean, pressing it that much)

- and the last thing is putting into reverse.. i really have to catch the right positioning when trying to put it into reverse, by that i mean that sometimes i get the handle bar only half way into the gear and have to do it again.. from my understanding this shouldn't be necessary with a brand new car [:@][:@]

Now im asking you because atm i dont have an option to try any other mazda2.. if i could i would and wouldn't bother you of course. Please help me if you know the answers, it will be much appreciated !
Oh dear/s

Its high geared for economy and it has advanced synchromesh... its absolutely correct that it hinders you going into first gear unless stationery. Sure other cars let you do anything because they're worn out and older tech.

Reverse has to be engaged correctly: try using a flat hand technique.