Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

are there any performance freebies that can be done to these cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Default RE: are there any performance freebies that can be done to these cars

but will it negate the hp boost?

Old 03-23-2006, 08:54 PM

I dont think it would, because of it did Mazda could be accused of not allowing aftermarket parts on the vehicles, which they would not want to do.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:52 PM

it had better not or there will be heads being smashed

Old 03-24-2006, 10:53 AM

I think auto makers want to have cars out that people can make there own, even though many people keep there cars stock, any car can be customized, and the makers know that. That would be sad if Mazda, marketing the "3" to the younger driver, made it so it could not work with aftermarket parts. The younger driver is the tuner market, i think they knew that going into production on the car.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:50 AM

welp im not exactly sure about the answers i give, but i do put alot of faith on what makes sense, but i can understand how it would negate the HP boost, it might not allow the TB to open up so much to accomodate for the CAI, but im not a genius on computers. Another reason why the computer might not allow for this to happen is emissions, almost every mod you do increases pollution, and U.S has high restrictions for emissions. I mainly understand this because the 350z(my dream car) has such a high learning curve for mods, almost every mod it receives it doesnt do so high in gains, but again its also the way the car was built, but look at the EVO, a car that depends on electronics very highly, i dont know where mazda stands on its computers, but i dont think its so far advance to where mods are cancelled so it gives us modders hope, but its just something to begin with

Old 03-25-2006, 12:18 PM

In regards to emissions, all the aftermarket parts that out and being sold, for the most part are CARB Exempt, CARB is californias air resource board, which test the parts to see if they actually increase emissions going into the air, if they pass that, almost every other state says it is emission legal, since california has the pretty much the highest emission standards inthe country. it may increase emissions slightly, but not enough to cause an issue.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:16 AM

if you can prove any company other than DC sports headers that are carb exempt then show me pictures or the address to prove it. and if you do mess with the intake in californian vehicles, its illegal, ask a cop

edit-for the most part performance parts are sold as "off-road use only" thats why people get away with selling things like neon kits, and turbo kits for non turbo'd vehicles, if a vehicle does not come with a turbo and you turbo the said vehicle, its considered illegal.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:57 PM

This is from AEM: Question
What is the C.A.R.B. E.O. number?

Answer
AEM intake systems carry or are pending approval for a California Air Resources Board Executive Order (CARB EO) number exempting them from the prohibitions of California Vehicle Code (CVC) 27156 which states that you cannot modify your car in the area of the emission control system. The C.A.R.B. E.O. number allows you to legally install and use the AEM intake system on your car.

. Are K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kits – FIPK’s street legal and will I have a problem passing state vehicle inspections due to the altering of my air box?

K&N FIPK’s are legal in all 50 states. Each FIPK has been submitted and has received exemption by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). Since California has some of the toughest emission laws in the country, their approval has been accepted as legal by other states. Each of these kits comes with a high temperature sticker with the CARB exempt “EO” number. This sticker differentiates approved devices from non-approved devices. As long as you have the approved sticker you shouldn’t have any problems with vehicle inspections. Typhoon Intake Systems have either been submitted for CARB exemption or they already are CARB except. You can enter a part number on our search page to determine CARB status. Our AirCharger intake kits may not be legal in states where under the hood modifications are not allowed. Check your local laws if you are unsure.
Copyright © 2006 K&N Engineering, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

These are just 2 manufacturers of aftermarket parts, it is not something i want to research in detail about. And being CARB exempt and being illegal to modify are 2 totally different things. They maybe ok to out on a car, but for whatever reason California has a stick up there *** about modifying cars.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:38 PM

YUP THEY SURE F#CKIN DO! and thanks i sit corrected, but still for some reason the computers on new cars just dont like upgrades the power overtime will be corrected, and i , without a doubt, know that factory non-turbo vehicles gets turbo'd its street illegal, jus hope that you come accross a cop who doesnt know about it. I think i will have to check out performance sites to see wuts carb legal, so them damn pigs get pissed when they get corrected