Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Power Steering Failure in 08 Mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Talking The wrong oil my a ss

Originally Posted by kimof3
I was told at the dealership today that Mazda believes that this is happening because we all used the wrong oil.
The wrong oil are u kidding me what will they say next
u shouldn't use your air con well I live in Cali that's not a option
anyway u should demand a rental car free of charge and tell them
there are many people on this forum that have experienced the same
problem not that that would matter but calling Mazda corpo might do
the trick.mine is now making a bit of a hum and they said it's a electronic motor so that's the noise I was hearing but I fully expect mine to go very soon
good luck sorry about the spelling using my iPhone ..!!

Old 06-26-2010, 09:13 PM

Thank you all. I expect to know on Monday if they will have the parts in. If not I will call Mazda corp. to see about pushing the issue with a rental. Thank you to all that have responded, I feel better hearing that it is not just me and that I didnt do anything to cause this, even if they are trying to tell me that I am.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:42 PM

The electric PS does make a whine, it normal.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Default 2007 Mazda 5. Same problem

My car had the same problem. I went to dealer. They said mazda knew the issue. They gave me a rental car. The car was fixed in 2 weeks.

I am concerned if the replacement really fixed the problem. So far so good.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:15 PM

I drive a 2008 Mazda3 and mine has gone out 3 times. Two times I had just started my engine and began to pull out of my parking space and noticed the power steering was out. The 1st time I was driving on the street when it went out. Scary. But luckily I wasn't in traffic and was able to pull over almost immediantly into a nearby business parking lot. My car is just out of warranty so this will be out of pocket for me unless a recall is issued.

Everyone should file complaints! The National Highway Traffic Safety Admin is doing an investigation and more complaints will make it more likely for a recall. File your formal complaint here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Old 07-16-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by luckyu886
I drive a 2008 Mazda3 and mine has gone out 3 times. Two times I had just started my engine and began to pull out of my parking space and noticed the power steering was out. The 1st time I was driving on the street when it went out. Scary. But luckily I wasn't in traffic and was able to pull over almost immediantly into a nearby business parking lot. My car is just out of warranty so this will be out of pocket for me unless a recall is issued.

Everyone should file complaints! The National Highway Traffic Safety Admin is doing an investigation and more complaints will make it more likely for a recall. File your formal complaint here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
As far as I know, a recall is being issued, I read an article in Motor Trend on the iphone app. If I remember correctly it involves 2007-2009 Mazda 3 models. And Luckyu886, if you have a problem with the same part and its replaced 3 times its a lemon, so from that stand point alone they should replace it at no charge even if your warranty is up. Mine got replaced while it was at a dealer for something else. And its funny cause the tech him self told me its an ongoing problem and i shouldn't have any issues now that its replaced. If anything I highly recommend you calling Mazda of USA at 1800-222-5500 and file a complaint. Just be nice to them while talking and they will listen, they did to me. Good Luck

Last edited by cezar1113; 07-16-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: a small hicup
Old 07-17-2010, 12:52 AM

will file complaint, if for no other reason than the fact that mine is a 2009 and they knew there was a problem even before I bought the car. That is ethically wrong.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:01 AM

So I've experienced the same problem as everyone else has described here. Have a 2008.5 Mazda 3s Hatch, 21k miles, and the power steering light has come three times in the last year. The first and most recent of the times I was able to shut the engine and wait a few minutes and then the light would go off, power steering would return. However the second time I had to wait ~30 minutes before the light would go off and get power steering back. Taking it to the dealership today, I was able to just shrug it off before, but the last time I was making a difficult turn and it could've been bad... it's pretty hard to steer when it goes out.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by TresEquis
So I've experienced the same problem as everyone else has described here. Have a 2008.5 Mazda 3s Hatch, 21k miles, and the power steering light has come three times in the last year. The first and most recent of the times I was able to shut the engine and wait a few minutes and then the light would go off, power steering would return. However the second time I had to wait ~30 minutes before the light would go off and get power steering back. Taking it to the dealership today, I was able to just shrug it off before, but the last time I was making a difficult turn and it could've been bad... it's pretty hard to steer when it goes out.

If its under warranty...take it right back. Make sure they fix it. I have the same car as you same year and in April 2009 with only 13,000 miles the steering went out. I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in immediately. They had the car for 5 weeks because there were so many Mazda 3's having the same problem that the parts were back ordered.

They replaced the power steering pump and some other steering related parts.

The car was fine until just recently at 29,000 miles it started to make a loud whining noise. The same loud whining noise the steering made just before it went out last year. I will take it back a second time.

The cost to fix it once its out of warranty can go into the hundred or thousands.... so im making sure that they cover the cost...not me.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:32 PM

I have an 07 Mazda3 Sport 2.3 liter. Only had it about three months. Has 34k miles on it so it's past warranty. I just noticed this whine. Can hear it outside of the vehicle when the car is idle. At first I thought it was the belt until finding my way here. It is more prominent when the you steer the wheel. What really has me concerned is the dome and car lights dim slightly when this happens. I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what can be done. Has anyone had to deal with this problem recently without a warranty? I can't afford to shell out hundreds to Mazda. If I know what parts to get I can get a garage to take care of it I suppose.

On a side note I notice almost a guzzling sound when giving the car a small amount of gas around 40 mph. I'm still trying to figure out what may be causing this. Guess I will just ask the Mazda dealer tomorrow.