Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Power Steering Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Default Power Steering Failure

Well i turned my car a few days ago and realized the power steering malfunction light was on. Driving is possible but it requires a lot of physical effort to turn the steering wheel. I took it to a repair shop a day ago and they told me nothing was wrong. The funny part was that when i was driving to the repair shop with the malfunctioned steering wheel, i believe i hit a small pot hole and then i see power steering malfunction light went off and the steering started working like it was brand new again. The power steering has been going on and off at random times during the past few days. (2010 mazda3i sport 7000miles). I was wondering if anyone had a similiar problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:01 PM

its still under warranty take it to the dealer

Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 PM

sounds like a bad connection somewhere - since there was a light, there will be a code too - definitely something the dealer can check out for no charge since it's in warranty.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Default Mazda has power steering recall in effect for the 2004-2009 models

Originally Posted by henryh
Well i turned my car a few days ago and realized the power steering malfunction light was on. Driving is possible but it requires a lot of physical effort to turn the steering wheel. I took it to a repair shop a day ago and they told me nothing was wrong. The funny part was that when i was driving to the repair shop with the malfunctioned steering wheel, i believe i hit a small pot hole and then i see power steering malfunction light went off and the steering started working like it was brand new again. The power steering has been going on and off at random times during the past few days. (2010 mazda3i sport 7000miles). I was wondering if anyone had a similiar problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Hello Henry,

Mazda put out a recall for the previous model years for their Power Steering unit. Not sure if it is tied into the 2010 model or not because of the change of engine. You will want to take your Mazda 3 to the dealership to see what they can suggest. You should be under warranty through 36,000 miles or 36 months from the date the car was purchased new.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:31 AM
Default Power steering failure

Hello guys. So took the vechile to the dealer yesturday and i can say just one thing that will be for sure. This will be my last mazda. I made my 8:00am appointment early, did some paper work and was told to it would be a $149.00 + tax diagnostic charge and after they find problem in around 2 hours, since they said there were a few cars before me, i would be notified of problem and price to repair. (vechile was involved in minor no-fault accident; passenger side mirror was hit so warrenty was voided). So then i went to a Mcdonald's to wait for 3 hours. Then i come back after 3 hours to find out that there were still 4 cars in front of me. I couldn't go home because i live in long island and my dealership was 30 miles away. So after another 2 hours i was told it was finally my turn and they are going to a full diagnostic. Then after another 3 hours i was told that they couldn't find the problem and needed a little more time. After another hour they told me their couldn't get into their own system. (funny how a mazda dealer can't get into the electrical system of a mazda 3 vechile). At that point i just want the vechile since i had to go to school. Then i was hit a diagnostic fee of $900.00. Apparently the basic charge for diagnostic only covers for 2 hours of work and the rest was charged at $105 per hour. So i paid $900.00 and they still can't figure problem of the car. Finally to sum it all up when i was driving home i heard a strange noise which sounded like plastic scratching so i parked vechile on the side of the highway and to my delight i find out the plastic covering under the front bumper which the dealer unscrewed to look at the power steering pump was not rescrewed and a large piece of plastic was scratched off already from some driving. I was just content the plastic didn't completely fall off. Now im out $900, short a few screws, cracked plastic, and still know what wrong with my car. One thing i do know is that this is my first and last mazda.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:57 AM

Sorry for your troubles, you should be able to write the manager there, some are more sympathetic than others... or to mazda directly (like exactly what you wrote above) and they may be able to compensate you somehow...
good luck with your next toyota / honda etc...

Old 02-25-2011, 12:22 PM

Yeah thats a load of bs but there are a few things i have to say about this. One is that ive heard that alot of NY dealers are really crooked and pull bs like that, a broken mirror is not going to have an effect on freaking steering and should not void your warranty for it, i would taken it to another shop as soon as they said that, they should be reported for that. It sucks that you had to go to school and all because i wouldnt of payed a cent after telling me my bill was 900 fkin dollars and they CANT FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM. Any reliable dealership would called an FSA if within 4 hours and no1 can fix the $h!t or atleast tell you they are having problems

Another thing is (i cannot count how many times ive said this) that you took a real risk of buying the 2010 3. Things have been changed (not gonna say improved because it hasent) so the problems with the old versions are back with new ones caused by numerous flaws. Honestly you could of have the same amount of headaches with any other car thats a 1st year gen of a car (04-09 is 1st gen, 10+ is second gen) and its really better to get an older car than a new gen anything (same with gadgets). I dont blame you though for having a sour taste in your mouth after this and im not going to sit here and defend mazda and pretend that there doing things right, every car as of late seems to be rushed out with little thought into the design and reliability.