Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

MS CAI: Has anyone else had this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Default RE: MS CAI: Has anyone else had this happen?

I'd say 5hp is low for a CAI, it's impossible for me to say...at the time, I added a host of other crap to the car...so I couldnt tell you. I can confidently tell you that CAI, and exhaust are the 2 easiest and quickest things you can do for more power (and sometimes fuel economy).

Old 10-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: MS CAI: Has anyone else had this happen?

ORIGINAL: npoll212
is there realy that much of a noticeable difference with the intake in the car? 5 hp doenst seem like all that much for the price
I'd say that w/o an exhaust to support the extra air in, that 5hp is probably not even likely. 2-3 would be my guess. BUT the CAI does more than that. It changes how the ECU sees the fuel management and seems to smooth things out a bit. i.e. I noticed that my car starts easier and settles into a much nicer idle than before. I also know that breaking the front tires free, particularly in already slippery conditions, is much easier now. I that a good thing? I don't know, but it does indicate better low-end power to me. Not all CAI's are created equal however and from the dyno charts that I've seen, some will add power in the upper range and can even reduce low-end power. Since mine is a street car first, I didn't want a loss in the bottom end. That's why I chose the AEM/MS.

ORIGINAL: dannewitzm
I'd say 5hp is low for a CAI, it's impossible for me to say...at the time, I added a host of other crap to the car...so I couldnt tell you. I can confidently tell you that CAI, and exhaust are the 2 easiest and quickest things you can do for more power (and sometimes fuel economy).

+1... and two of the most standard too. But for good quality stuff, you're looking at $500-$1000 for that advantage. I shopped carefully and was patient. I waited for a "deal" to come along.

To answer your other question: For now it seems I have solved the CEL problem. After resetting the ECU after the 55 mile problem I spoke of in the first post, I was able to drive another 200+ miles only to have the damn thing come on again. This time, I pulled the MAF out and cleaned the sensor. The light went out again once reinstalled, but only time/mileage will tell if that was the problem.
I also double checked all the connections to make sure they were tight. Since the filter was factory sealed in a plastic bag, I never thought to check and see if there was any manufacturing dirt/particles in there before I installed it. I am HOPING that that was it? It was rather dirty (on one side only?) after 35K miles.