Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Has anyone else's Mazda 6 run slighty rougher in cold?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Default Has anyone else's Mazda 6 run slighty rougher in cold?

My Mazda runs kind of rough in the cold. After I first start it, the engine is quite loud especially when I put into reverse. I also feel a vibration that I never feel when the car is at normal operating temp. Its like the engine is moaning. Is this anything to be concerned with? It usually is gone after 10min of driving.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Default RE: Has anyone else's Mazda 6 run slighty rougher in cold?

yea Mine revs high and it kind of takes off more. It is just revving higher to warm up and thats why it jerks. Because it is revving higher. My Grand Cherokee was even worse than this.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:42 PM

technically, you are supposed to wait for your car to reach normal operating temperatures before you take off after starting your engine. But how many people have the patience, especially on a cold day to just sit around.

and yes, you are correct about it revving higher to heat up the engine. Obviously, it is not the best thing to do (drive on a cold engine) thus the reason why it tries to heat up quicker.

The car will really get up and go when you put it into reverse or drive before it reaches the normal operating temperature. You should really press down on your brake ever-so-softly just to keep from having that dreadful jerking motion!

As for the moan, I get a really deep tone when I go from park to reverse before normal operating temps. Is that one of the noises you hear? or is it something else? and as for the vibration... I'm not exactly sure what that is but I noticed it when I had my stock intake system. I switched that out and put in an Injen CAI and it has vanished. That could have been due to the engine trying to get more air flow (but not enough) through that restrictive piping system because it is revving higher.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:35 AM

yes deep tone is the word i am looking for. I wasnt really too worried, but just making sure it was normal. Yeah that car feels like it has 600 horses when the engine is cold and you put it into reverse.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:46 PM

i was under the impression that you shouldnt wait till the car warms all the way up before you leave....

in the manual it says something about not letting it warm up for too long

Old 02-21-2006, 03:50 PM

the rule of thumb I use is to wait for idle to drop @900 rpm simultaneously the water temp. needle will budge upward .... all takes about 3-4min. depending on how cold ..... meanwhile I warm up my buns (heated leather) and destiffen from the cold .... set myself up and look forward to the ride home