Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

ipod connectivity and new 2010 m3

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Apple only has partial support for Bluetooth Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), so this is a limitation of the implementation in the iPhone itself. See note 1 at the bottom of the table on this page: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647. This means that Apple would have to change its Bluetooth to make it do more.

However, Mazda does offer the iPod Integration Module, which hard wires the device into the car's audio system through the docking connector. It requires the purchase and installation of two components, an Integration Module, and an Installation Harness. See the chart on this page http://mazdagear.com/ipoduniversalin...dule-c9f2.aspx to determine what versions of these parts you would need for your car. The Integration Module gives you pretty good (but not perfect) control of iPhone/iPod music playback through the dashboard and steering wheel controls, including tags on the car's display. See my comments on the Integration Module posted on 05-13-2010 earlier in this thread.

The installation of the Integration Module is not for the faint of heart, as it requires considerable disassembly of the dashboard.
Thanks, I'm an idiot for not seeing that. With that said, I'll probably stick with the stock setup and hope that Apple updates the software to allow the info to be streamed. For now, I'll probably find a dock/charger that I can stick in the power outlet so that I can directly change playlists/albums from the phone.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:55 PM

So, did you buy this integration system from the dealer? I have a 2010 GrandTouring Mazda 3, and it drives me crazy that I can't view the playlists on my Auxiliary GPS screen orrr control it from my steering wheel. When I bought this car, it didn't have an option for the ipod hook up, or at least no one told me about it. Can I buy this aftermarket and will it show up on my auxiliary screen?

Old 12-14-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by emmie120
So, did you buy this integration system from the dealer? I have a 2010 GrandTouring Mazda 3, and it drives me crazy that I can't view the playlists on my Auxiliary GPS screen orrr control it from my steering wheel. When I bought this car, it didn't have an option for the ipod hook up, or at least no one told me about it. Can I buy this aftermarket and will it show up on my auxiliary screen?
An iPod option for Mazda has existed for several years, and Mazda dealers sell the parts. I bought mine from Mazdagear.com. A dealer can install it, or you can install it yourself, but the installation is quite involved, you risk doing damage to your dashboard if you're not very careful. I think it took me three or four hours. Dealers might not tell car buyers about it when they're buying a car because dealers know the buyers would probably negotiate getting the complicated installation done at no charge as part of the car purchase.

Once the iPod module is installed, you can use the Info button on the steering wheel to cycle to the screen that shows the music tags for artist, album, song title. However, once you're at that screen, the only other things you can do from the steering wheel are go to the next or previous track, and change volume. Most of the control, such as choosing an album or a playlist, is done from the stereo unit in the dash, which can be a minor PITA if you have lots of albums and playlists to choose from on your iPod. Or, you can set it on random and just listen...