Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

ipod connectivity and new 2010 m3

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 PM

I'm curious to hear if this charges the iPhone 3G.

Also, does it play through AUX? My bluetooth keeps overriding my AUX and driving me nuts!

Thanks for the details and pictures!

Old 10-02-2009, 09:06 PM

Oh yeah, and my dealer wants me to pay $475 to put it in.....

Old 10-02-2009, 09:07 PM

Mark56 I think that they remaved the MP3 jack and made the hole a little bigger and now the Ipod is stis in the bottom of the armrest.
And for using Bluetooth or the MP3 3.5mm jack well you have to controll the Ipod your self nothing on the display.
The controlls on the steering wheel nor the center will do anything just Volume.
Ya all ready spent a lot of money on the car spend a little more and use the IPOD.
Or just load 6 CD's with MP3's and use the changer if ya got the 6 disk changer it will display the same INFO
Good luck

Old 10-02-2009, 09:12 PM

The the I pod and bluetooth will work just push AUX for one or the outher.
And IPOD connection will charg Iphone 3G
But I ihave the Ipod and a charger in armrest gor the Iphone do not connect with cable just Bluetooth

Old 10-06-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mark56
OK, I got the module installed today by the dealer and must say it is pretty cool. I am still getting acquainted with how it works. Basically, it duplicates the menu structure of the Ipod in the car:

The DISC button switches between music menus (Playlist, Artist, Album, Genre, etc.).

The FOLDER button switches between lists within the category selected above (shows playlists, albums, artists, etc.).

The TUNE-FILE ****, or alternatively the SEEK/TRACK button, or up/down button on the steering wheel switches tracks.

The DISP button changes what is shown on the multi-function display on the dash, such as the name of the playlist, artist, album, etc. depending on what mode you are in.

On the left side (Info) display, pressing the INFO button on the wheel will bring up a screen that says Ipod, then the mode (playlist, album, etc.) followed by the name of the album, artist, and song. This is what is shown in the picture in the brochure. My car has Tech/Nav but I think this screen looks the same on non-Tech package cars too.

Pressing the SCAN button will play the first ten seconds of each song in the list you have selected, a nice feature.

The only thing that is a little annoying is that the INFO display takes a couple seconds to catch up and display the song info when you change tracks, but this is minor.

You can also do shuffle and repeat play. Overall, I think even though this is pricey it probably outperforms the aftermarket competitors out there, from what I've seen.

I will try to take a few pics and provide a few more details this weekend.

I'm interested in getting this integration kit installed in my 2010 Mazda 3. However, I've read conflicting information from reviews and from an email sent to me by a dealership technician, that you cannot select shuffle or browse Artists -> Albums to select a specific album using the stereo controls.

I just wanted to confirm that that is NOT the case, and you are indeed saying that through the car stereo, I could browse to a specific artist and select a specific album to be played in its proper track order? Or I could select shuffle and shuffle all songs as I could using the iPod?

The tech is trying to tell me that I'd have to set shuffle, or select an album, prior to plugging my iPod in. I already have that functionality using the aux port and a plug in adapter. If I can't select shuffle using the stereo controls or navigate to specific albums, it seems like a waste of money to me.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by xmetalmetx
I'm interested in getting this integration kit installed in my 2010 Mazda 3. However, I've read conflicting information from reviews and from an email sent to me by a dealership technician, that you cannot select shuffle or browse Artists -> Albums to select a specific album using the stereo controls.

I just wanted to confirm that that is NOT the case, and you are indeed saying that through the car stereo, I could browse to a specific artist and select a specific album to be played in its proper track order? Or I could select shuffle and shuffle all songs as I could using the iPod?

The tech is trying to tell me that I'd have to set shuffle, or select an album, prior to plugging my iPod in. I already have that functionality using the aux port and a plug in adapter. If I can't select shuffle using the stereo controls or navigate to specific albums, it seems like a waste of money to me.
i wonder the same as you. i think that they all have the package that has the screen to show the lists, etc. (see the pictures). i have the 2010 itouring model and don't have that screen. i can't seem to get an answer that makes me want to spend $475 on it.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by librahi
i wonder the same as you. i think that they all have the package that has the screen to show the lists, etc. (see the pictures). i have the 2010 itouring model and don't have that screen. i can't seem to get an answer that makes me want to spend $475 on it.

Wow, by me it would be roughly $300 installed, $250 with a coupon, which still seems like a pretty high price to pay which is why I'd want to be absolutely certain. I have the 2010 S model though so I do have the screen, I just didn't get the tech package.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:59 PM

librahi, I'm the same as you. I have the 2010 i touring without the screen in the pictures. I have the moonroof/bose package but my display is just the regular 2 line display. I'm eager to hear from anyone with that same radio that has gotten the ipod interface installed. Pictures would be really appreciated as well.

BTW, my dealer quoted me $360 installed. Pretty penny and that's why I also want to make sure of how everything is going to work with what I have.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by xmetalmetx

It sounds like what the dealer tech is describing is the limited functionality of the Ipod using the AUX cable input through the headphone jack, not the module. You're right, it would make no sense to spend the $$$ for limited functionality.

I just went out and tested. I hit the Category button until it said Albums, then the Folder button to scroll between albums. Once you have the album (or Playlist or Artist or Genre selected), you use the file **** (or up/down button on the steering wheel) to scroll among the songs.

For Shuffle (random play), it seems like it really works only in Song mode. I went to song mode, hit RDM (same button as station 3 preset) and RDM appeared on the two line display. It started playing a song, if I hit the up/down button on the wheel, it went to a different album/song. So this to me is a true random/shuffle play. If you are in Album or Artist mode and hit RDM, it seems like it just plays the songs within the album you select randomly, not jump among all your albums randomly, if that makes sense.

I would certainly be willing to scan a copy of the user guide that came with it, if I could figure a way to post it here and not break any copyright laws, it is only a few pages.

It also does not appear to me that you need the left hand "info" screen to get all the features, it pretty much displays what is on the two line display, just prettier.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mark56
It sounds like what the dealer tech is describing is the limited functionality of the Ipod using the AUX cable input through the headphone jack, not the module. You're right, it would make no sense to spend the $$$ for limited functionality.

I just went out and tested. I hit the Category button until it said Albums, then the Folder button to scroll between albums. Once you have the album (or Playlist or Artist or Genre selected), you use the file **** (or up/down button on the steering wheel) to scroll among the songs.

For Shuffle (random play), it seems like it really works only in Song mode. I went to song mode, hit RDM (same button as station 3 preset) and RDM appeared on the two line display. It started playing a song, if I hit the up/down button on the wheel, it went to a different album/song. So this to me is a true random/shuffle play. If you are in Album or Artist mode and hit RDM, it seems like it just plays the songs within the album you select randomly, not jump among all your albums randomly, if that makes sense.

I would certainly be willing to scan a copy of the user guide that came with it, if I could figure a way to post it here and not break any copyright laws, it is only a few pages.

It also does not appear to me that you need the left hand "info" screen to get all the features, it pretty much displays what is on the two line display, just prettier.

Cool, thank you for confirming that for me. It's still a tad pricey but it's a very nice feature and I do believe that sound quality improves when you're not using the headphone jack to feed the Aux line. Plus all the wires running from the 12V outlet into my center console are messy. If only my tire hadn't chosen this week to pick up a nail between the treads, I might be tempted to spend the money right away

Quick Reply: ipod connectivity and new 2010 m3