Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

New Mazda 6 owner - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Default New Mazda 6 owner - a few questions

My wife and I just got a 2006 with 27 miles on the clock. We love it so far (have had it five days). It is a base 6i - the cheapest one they make (we couldn't afford anything more). We looked at the Jetta, the Fusion and the Sonata, but decided on the 6 because it was the most car we could find for the money and it is way more fun to drive than the Hyundai and more refined than the Jetta. I want to do a few upgrades over the next year or two, but I am not sure what will be possible.

My first question is regarding the front end of the car. I need to buy a full front-end cover (bra) for this car because I live in Florida and the bugs here are NASTY. They can easily destroy the paint on a car in just three years. My problem is that I do not know whether to order a bra for the "sport" model or the "base" model, because I plan to add the OEM-style fog lamps. I am afraid that the bra for the base model will not have the holes for the fog lights, but I am equally concerned that the bra for the sport model will not fit my base model front end. If the only difference between base model and sport package models are the body-colored grille, tinted headlights and the fog lights then I guess I am safe to just get the bra for the sport model. Does anyone know if the front ends of these cars are all the same shape?

Once I get the front end worked out, I might want to do something with the exterior lighting. The 2006 base models have completely clear taillights and headlights, which I don't like a whole lot. I am wondering if I can swap them out for the sport version's tinted ones. Finally, I want to (at some point) get some wheels and look for some OEM-style rocker panel extensions similar to the ones on the sport model. Are there any aftermarket units out there that look OEM? I am not going for the tuner look, I just want to address some subtle things that I think make the base car look a bit like a rental. I know, I could have just bought the sport model in the first place, but money was real tight and I can do the mods over time for essentially the same effect.

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Default RE: New Mazda 6 owner - a few questions

For the bra, you dont really need one, the look weird and stuiped imo, I live in orlando FL with pletty of bugs, just take your car for a wash every weekend or so. But if you still want one, you have to get the base modle bra, the sport pakage for the mazda has a little diffirent style front bumber. So you best bet is to get the base modle bra. For your rims, check out 6packs, he chromed out his stock rims, lookes pretty trick imo. Well I hope this helps. Oh, and let me be the first to welcome you to the forums and congratulate you on your new mazda.

happy driving

Old 01-10-2006, 06:10 PM

Yeah, I know the bras look wierd but I live near so much water it is usually necessary to wash the bugs off every day in the spring and fall months. Despite my best efforts, the love bugs killed the front end of my last car. I prefer the look of the bra over the peeling and stained clear-coat - especially since car dealers deduct so much money for bug damage when it comes time to trade. Thanks for the info, though. It looks like the dealer bra for the base sedan has cutouts for fog lights even though they aren't there. This, I get from their own photos. It shows a base sedan with a bra on it and the holes are there. I was hoping go get a Wolf bra instead and save some money, but the OEM one is only $130 so I guess I could just do that.

By the way, has anyone replaced their factory speakers? I posted in the audio forums but have had no response as yet. I just need to know what sizes fit.

Old 01-11-2006, 05:48 AM

Only thing I have done so far for my 6 is tinted the windows, and debadged the car. Wish I could be of more assistance!

Old 01-11-2006, 04:03 PM

I am a proud new owner of the 2005 6i. Mine already had the 17" rims. I really wanted the s with the sports package, but saw I could get a better deal getting the "i" and adding to it. Yesterday I added the spoiler and tomorrow I will be adding the foglights and the front, rear and side ground effects with chrome tips and front sport grill that mazda has. I found low prices on mazdastuff.com. I took the prices to my dealership and they matched the prices I got on Mazdastuff.com! I was told it will look even better than the factory "s" model. I am really excited. Next are the chrome wheels. I saw 6 pack did that on another post and I would love to see a picture of the chrome wheels. I will later tint the windows and update the speakers and add an amp and sub I had in my Eclipse I traded in. I figured if I was going to get rid of my sports car, I was gonna make this car sporty! This is a great car and handles awesome. My car is the glacier metallic silver. Love it! 6pack---I would love to see you post the pics of your car with the chromed out rims! Post please! Thanks!

Old 01-12-2006, 10:58 AM

Yeah, the 6-cyl would be nice, but the 4 cylinder really is more than adequate with a manual transmission. Besides, part of the reason we wanted a new car was beacuase our current one was WAY too thirsty (often returning less than 19 MPG). I expect considerable savings with the four cylinder over time. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your input. I am going to go and have a look at the mazdastuff website. I would like to get the rocker extensions, too.

Old 01-13-2006, 04:57 AM

You're the second one asking me for a pic .... I'll be the happiest to show you people as soon as this winter up here in Montreal leaves us so I can rush to the garage and install me the O.E. Michelins on them and then on the 6xy . https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_6038/tm.htm

I have tried to find the thread on this forum where this member (who has a G Reddy Avatar with RPM Gauge in it) has the Chromes on his charcoal car . He's the one that got me started when I saw his on another forum ..... and later by coincidence noticed it was him over here to my happy surprise ..... anyways can't remember what thread it was , but he has a few pics of his in the meantime ....

Old 01-13-2006, 03:37 PM

I got my front rear and side ground effect extensions added yesterday with the fog light and front sports grille and chrome tips. OMG! It is awesome! The effects look awesome. They are more extreeme looking than the factory "S" model. Side panels look the same, but the front and the back are a little diffrent and lower and I am MORE than satisfied! So if any of you look into adding the ground effects, you will not be sorry. You can look at them at Mazdastuff.com. Like said in a previous post, my dealership matched their prices. If your dealership won't match the price, the shipping is free with a $100.00 purchase. Next will be the tinting and rims...

Old 01-13-2006, 04:31 PM

About the ground effects... anyone know If I can get the Speed6 body kit???? mine is a 3.0 V6 Grand Sport... and, you think that 18inch wheels chromed look nice on pearl white??? What i want to do is to chrome the rims cause i really like the original design... help here! tnx!!