Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Sub, amp, instalation; and wiring quesitons

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Default Sub, amp, instalation; and wiring quesitons

Hey there, this is my first time using one of these thing. I hope I can get the asnwers I seek. I didn't see any relavent hits when I googled the subject. I have a box with two subwoofers in it that will fit nicely in the trunk, along with an amp to power them. I have a car stereo that will be compatable with the amp. My question regards how one should approach actually wiring the the amp, and where one should send wires from the dash to the trunk. I want it to look professional, so no lose wires. Also, powering the amp is an issue. I would like to know if someone can recommend a circuit to connect the amp to. The amp has its own fuses, so overload or underload will not be an issue. I look forward t hearing any suggestions, thanks.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:58 PM
Default RE: Sub, amp, instalation; and wiring quesitons

first things first, the wiring of the main power. i would just run the main power source from the battery and through the fire wall. from there, the panels on the bottom of the door should pull up so that you can run the wiring under them and into the trunk. you will need to hook up the remote wire from the back of the head unit to the amp.

next thing, the speakers to the amp. if your amp is bridgable, i strongly recommend bridging it and wiring the speakers in circuit. to do this, you will take the two bridgable points, usually the two outside contacts, and go from positive on the amp to positive on the left speaker, then negative on the left to positive on the right. then you go onward to negative on right to negative on the amp.

simplified: positive AMP to positive left SPEAKER, that's one wire.thennegative left SPEAKER to positive right SPEAKER, that's one more wire. then negative right SPEAKER to negative AMP, that's one more wire. three wires total here.

now you only need to be doing this if your amp is bridgable, but most amps are bridgable now. if you wire it like this, both of the speakers will hit at the same time. if you don't, the speakers will hit at different times and the sound quality will be different. good luck on this install.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:37 AM
Default RE: Sub, amp, instalation; and wiring quesitons

ive bridged amps before and wso made it all confusing

also
run your power wire on the the right side of the car
and the audio cables leading from the stereo to the amp on the other side.

nothing like having audio feedback from the engine.