Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

My car is KILLING ME

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Default My car is KILLING ME

Alright, I have seen posts about people with the same problem I have, but I have seen so many different answers to the problem that I dont know what to do. I have 2001 Mazda Protege (automatic). My problem is of the squeaking sound. My car will start up and squeak, and continue to do so until it passes through to high gears. The car has had about 10 belts break/slip off, and it has even seen a mechanic. WhenI replace the belts and tighten them down or loosen them up until no squeaking is happening, the car will run for about 3-4 hours until the squeaking comes back. It has had a new alternator put in aswell as a new battery, all the belts have been brand new that we have put on to replace it. I do have an amplifier attached but it does not supply more power then the alternator should be able to take. It has a cdplayer also installed.I dont know what to do......some one please help I am on my last breath with this car.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Default RE: My car is KILLING ME

My car is doing a similar thing, I have a 2000 Protege. When I start- squealing, if I turn it off and turn it back on (couple of seconds), it goes away.It will happen if I turn on my a/c, still at a light-- but not on the highway. One of the members here suggested spraying WD40 on the belts and see if that helps. Also, check the power steering fluid. If not, I'll take it in and see what they can tell me and I'll let you know.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:43 PM

There isan aerosol belt dressing spray you could use, should be available at just about any autoparts store. I wouldn't recommed WD40 as I would think it would break down the rubber.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:08 PM

Hi..i am having the same problem on my Mazda Protege 2001. I heard from several people that it is a water pump/timing belt. More so they asked me to change the water pump first!

I took it to pep boys and then sears and they both say it is the water pump. And i changed like 4 belts and the sqeaking is still there. Talk to the guy"matthew" at autopartswarehouse.com at 1-800-859-0923 - 24 Hour Toll Free Phone Support, 7 Days a Week . He echoed the same thing..and he said he had the same problem with his Protege. And i just bought the water pump and timing belt(both stock) for $115.

then take it to a local mechanic(good one) to replace them.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:10 PM

If the pump hasn't quite gone bad (still pumping), but is dragging a little that could put increased stress on the belts and cause them to break. Sounds plausible to me.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:20 PM

Basically the guy from the autopartswarehouse.com told me that the there might be a leak from the water pump which is causing this whole thing. And that's what happened to his Protege too. He says it is a common problem with Mazda cars. The one at Sears told me it could be the pulley or the the belts...and he said the pulley was fine so he changed all the belts...sqeaking continued and now he suspects the Water pump. The guys at Pepboys discovered this long back but charged me $700...for everything...ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

I got the parts for $115 and will find a good local mechanic.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:18 PM

if you have aftermarket stereo work, the alternator will struggle at first to handle the load of the amp(s). the total solution is to get an alternator that is built to handle this kind of stuff, a voltage stabilizer, ect. these all help with the high drain that the amp is putting on the battery and alternator. also check for bent shafts on all of the parts that are pulley driven. they might be just a little bent, but that is all that it takes.