Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Somewhat stiff steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Default Somewhat stiff steering

I have a Maxda Protege LX, 180,000 miles on it and still running well. I replaced the battery about 1-2 weeks ago and what I noticed ever since then is if I go at a slow speed (usually in parking lots) the steering would at times, seem a bit stiff. Turning becomes a little difficult and try not to push it too hard for fear of breaking something. I do have the check engine light on, but that's becuase I need to replace the frontal O2 sensor and nothing else. The power steering fluid has never been replaced, but I did have the transmission filter replaced about 7,000 miles ago.

Does anyone know what might cause the stiff steering?

Old 08-19-2011, 05:15 PM

At slow speed you may not even put your foot on the accelerator. Maybe your idle speed is a bit low and therefore the pump runs to slow?

You have a check engine light and that often goes along with rough idle. Before kissing the O2 sensor good buy look for vacuum leaks every where. Tehre is a vacuum hose coming from the back of the intake manifold going to the EGR boost sensor. Pull if off the nipple at the manifold then poke into the nipple with a 3" wire. If you feel resistance that nipple is blocked with carbon deposits.
The intake air hose is prone to cracking at the accordion section. Bend that area to see the cracks.
Don't trust the codes, they don't tell you what's wrong they only tell you that something is wrong. The O2 sensor told the computer. Replacing the sensor is like killing the messenger.
EGR system may be clogged up. (clean it and scrape it out).

Maybe you don't have enough power steering fluid in the reservoir? (check the min max marks)
Maybe the power steering belt is slipping? (noise?)
Maybe your pump is worn?
Maybe the tie rod ends need some grease. No grease nipples? Get an injection kit and stick the needle through the rubbers to inject the grease. Same for the lower ball joints.

I would consider replacing the power steering fluid or at least add some Lucas Oil Power Steering Fix.

Take your time to check things out and go from cheap to more costly. After all the car drives!

Last edited by tanprotege; 08-19-2011 at 05:21 PM.