Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

'03 protege a/c problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Default '03 protege a/c problems

replaced a/c compressor in '05. No a/c this summer, so freon replaced and leak was found. mechanic said the compressor is going out also. says freon leak cannot be repaired.

something about replacing all 4 parts of the a/c system, which would require custom work?

I am beside myself over this! It has 70,000 miles and has always practically healed itself from any problems.

I want to keep my car - with a good a/c system

oh, and get those speakers fixed and a cover or something because the upholstery is shredding on the driver's seat ...

any suggestions?

thanks - i love my little car!

Old 08-19-2011, 04:45 PM

Most freon leaks can be repaired. But I don't want to say your mechanic is wrong.

You could try the following: have the system emptied and put ona vacuum pump for at least 30 minutes, then fill the system with the high mileage refrigerant. It has some stuff in it that helps to plug very minor leaks. If it does not work you are out a minor amount of dollars.

The mechanic is right in saying that a proper repair needs to replace 4 major parts: Compressor, evaporator (orifice tube), condenser and dryer. And everything has to be done very clean. Why all that? Because the system recirculates the refrigerant, the oil and all those little contaminants that are shaved off by the compressor. And why do you need to replace them rather than clean them? Because the passages are so small that cleaning them is impossible.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:11 PM

Thank you so much! I took it to another place and he said the compressor was not going bad, it just needed a new hose (only $64)

He said the freon can act as a plug for a leak. If I lose freon again, I will do what you suggested.

I hate the thought of losing this car. It has been a great car!