Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

stiff gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Default stiff gas pedal

hello everybody! Im not sure if my first message has been sent so I am rewritting it again. My problem is my 2002 MPV when the engine reaches the normal operating temperature or you have been driving it for a couple of hours it start to loose some power and also the gas pedal is starting to have some kind of resistance. and after you stop the engine and try to restart it it will take at least twicw to start it. Any info will be greatly appreciated

Old 03-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Default RE: stiff gas pedal

Often times hear engine missfire problems reported as a loss of power, expecially on a V6 engine. Do you feel the van jerking or bucking when this power loss is being experienced? The best way to "feel" a missfire in your van is when cruising on freeway and transmission torque converter is locked. The miss is often much more noticeable at this time. Failing ignition coils have been an ongoing problem with the 02 and later MPV which would cause this missfire.
Is the gas pedal resistance greater or is just sticking when you first try and depress the pedal. With engine off, open the throttle all the way and then let snap shut quickly. Now use you hand to try and depress the pedal. It should depress evenly and smoothly. If it sticks as you arebeginning todepress the pedal then the throttle body is probably carbonned up and needs a good cleaning.
Does the engine crank over normally after trying to restart but will just not fire up right away?

Old 03-02-2007, 10:46 PM

thank you for your reply! it goes like this when the engine is cold it is easy to start the engine but drive it for two hours and you come to a stop like toll booth and try to accelerate and it feels like crawling it does not jump like when you first start it and the gas pedal feels like having a strong spring attached and you have to step hard on it.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:49 PM

and also after you shut the engine and restart it you will hear somthing like air leaks like chksssssst

Old 03-05-2007, 06:50 PM

Air leak sound could very well be a vacuum leak creating various problems. Very common vacuum leak source on 2002-03 MPV was a ruptured PCV hose at the intake manifold. Hose was recalled and replaced with modified part due to this problem. Do you happen to know if Recall #2204H was completed on your van?

Old 03-06-2007, 09:10 AM

yes they replaced the bad pcv hose although I repaired it myself and it was really holding better than the original design, but this loosing power after so many miles and hours of driving is just doesnt make sense. I replaced all the spark plug before and replace one bad ignition coil did not help either. anyway thank you for aanswering my thread looks like you are the only one here to answer the member's question thank you