Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Smoke, CEL and massive oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 09:53 PM
Default Smoke, CEL and massive oil consumption

I purchased a 2000 protege ES with 212k on the clock a few months back. Within a few weeks the pulley on the water pump seized and threw the serpentine belt. I replaced the water pump, timing belt and tensioner, serpentine belt and oil seals at the recommendation of the mechanic. After the repair it seemed to run great and one night while driving on the highway the CEL came on. I didn’t notice any difference in driving until the next morning. I started it up and clouds of bluish white smoke were emitted until the engine warmed up. Then the oil light illuminated and the dipstick was dry. I put a few quarts in along with some Lucas oil. The CEL turned off within a few days and the smoking when cold has been intermittent. It has continued to use about 2 qts of oil every 5-7 days but is not leaking it (or at least noting is showing up on the cardboard I’ve put underneath. The CEL has continued to turn on and off randomly and today while going up a highway grade the CEL started flashing. I got home, went to pick up a pizza a few hours later and no more flashing. I’m monitoring the oil to make sure it has some but am concerned at the massive amount being consumed as well as the cold smoking and the CEL. It’s been running well enough save for some pinging under load which I’ve tried to address with fuel system cleaner/octane booster. Any ideas or suggestions as to what in the world is going on under the hood of my protege?

Old 04-24-2020, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

What fault code/codes are causing the engine light to be on?

Old 04-24-2020, 02:36 PM
Default Fault codes

Just ran an OBD scanner and the following fault codes came up:
PO303- cylinder 3 misfire
PO401- exhaust gas flow insufficient detected

reccomended replacement of spark plugs and wires. Doesn’t really explain the oil consumption or smoke that I know of but I’m not a mechanic so am all ears. Thanks

Old 04-25-2020, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator

Carry out compression test & leak-down test & report back..