Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Another Mystery Oil Leak Problem??

Old 01-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Default Another Mystery Oil Leak Problem??

Was wondering if anyone has had this problem or would know what is going on. A few days before Christmas this year our 01 MPV started to idle real low and when were parked it was almost dying. It would get this horrible smoky smell inside the cabin also. At this time it was really cold (below 0) and snowy. We took it to a mechanic here in town to see if he could figure anything out. He called me about an hour later and said this van don't have any oil in it. It hadn't been that long since the oil was changed, so that was odd. He went ahead and changed the oil and topped off fluids. He called about another hour later and said that the car was running smooth as glass and had checked codes and cleared the computer. By this time the weather outside was warming up and it was above freezing by now. The next week we took it to a different mechanic that we knew personally and told him to give it the full lookover. He called and said that there was nothing wrong with it and there was nothing showing in the computer as a possible "pending code". Fast forward less than 3 weeks later. Its really cold out again (under 0). Start the van that morning and CEL comes on and starts flashing. The van starts bucking again and losing power when stopped. I check the oil like when it happened before and it wasn't showing on the dipstick. Took it too the mechanic we knew the next day and he checked hte computer and there were 7 codes in the computer now. We nor he knew what too do now. We went a week without driving it and last weekend when it had warmed up I started it up and took it for a little drive, the van now is running good, no bucking, idles fine, although the CEL light is still on and flashing. About 1 hour later the wife takes it somewhere and the CEL goes off and runs fantastic. It has been a week now and it runs just fine.

We can't figure out what is happening. This only seems to be a problem when it gets SUPER cold out, then when it warms back up things run fine. Coulld this be a computer issue?? Anybody with any insight have anywhere to start???

Thanks
Toby

Old 01-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Default RE: Another Mystery Oil Leak Problem??

I am having the exact same problem. I bought mine in June and have already had to fix an oil leak. Oil pan gasket and both valve cover gaskets were replaced. Ran great for a while, even drove it to NY and back from STL with no problems. Since mid December the CEL has been on and I've had problems with the bucking. Last night it was horrible (about 14 degrees outside). Every time we stopped we could see the headlights dimming and it would buck hard enough to move it even with the brake on. we checked the oil and it's low, but not out. I didn't smell a smoky smell so much, but a real strong buring oil scent...enough to make me gag. I'm scared it won't make it to my mechanic so I'm waiting until next week when it gets a bit warmer. If he finds anything out of the ordinary I will post it.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:23 PM

The thing about this that baffles me is there is no oil that is being spilled or leaked out of the van. I even parked it on our patio one night to make sure and there was no oil puddles or drops on it. The van don't smoke any either.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:07 PM

What weight oil are ya'll using? Just wondering if the oil pump isn't pulling up the oil when it is cold and thick.

...too bad we don't have oil pressure gauges on these cars...

Old 01-26-2009, 05:16 PM

I'm not seeing any oil either. When they fixed the leak before, it was landing on the exhaust. They said I had a very big buildup and that's why I was smelling it so bad before.

I'm using the oil that's specified for the car. I can't think right now, but I'll check next time I go out there.

I love my van, but I'm really getting sick of the mechanical problems. My rear heat isn't working right now and I've had a problem with the remotes since a month after buying it. I disconnected the hood switch because the alarm was going off randomly. The remote won't even lock my car anymore. It used to do it once in a while, and it worked for about a month after I disconnected the hood switch, but now I get nothing.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:31 PM

Babyhuey or any of the resident experts have any insight or idea of what might be going on here???

Thanks

Old 01-29-2009, 10:25 PM

I'm still waiting as well. I haven't driven my vehicle since Sunday after it was acting up horribly. My husband is going to attempt to take it tomorrow and see how it does as I don't want to break down with my daughter in the car.

I'm waiting to take to my mechanic. He is great, but I would rather be able to give him some possible reasons and spend less money trying to find the problem. When I checked the oil Sunday, it was a little low but not low enough to worry.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Cool

Have you looked to see what the new codes are? My 2001 had a similar issue on Christmas eve, idle dropped so low that the oil light came on and car stalled. I was showing one quart low on oil, added oil, drove for awhile and has same issue and again was a quart low. I think this might have something to do with the pcv valve when the idle drops to low. (pcv is not in a very servicable area) I installed a Oil pressure guage inplace of the oil pressure switch (which is behind the air conditioning compressor) and ran the tube and guage into the passanger window so I could monitor the pressure. Mine only has a problem when the engine is hot and I let off the gas going down a hill or comming to a stop at a light.

The information I received from the Cougar Forum http://www.newcougar.org/forums/ (which the 2.5l is a ford engine) was indicating a malfunctioning low idle valve. This provides air to the intake when your foot is off the gas peddle to maintain the 750 rpm. I ran some seafoam into the air intake and have not had a problem since.

I am by no means a expert but wanted to throw out my experiances.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:48 PM

That does make sense. I noticed when mine stutters that the rpms are varying. I still haven't driven it, but I'm going to go start it today and see what it does. It's 64 degrees here right now (crazy weather) and I want to see if it does the same thing when it's warmer out.

Thanks for the input.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:43 PM

We had a really cold spell over the holidays and my 01 would run rough and buck at idle and almost stall but run fine at higher rpms. didn't have an oil problem but cleaning the MAF fixed my bucking and almost stalling problems in cold weather. Was super easy! two screws hold that stupid thing in. I was shocked how black it was.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Mystery Oil Leak Problem??