Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

help, no clock, radio, mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Default help, no clock, radio, mirrors?

Im new here, and I've tryed searching to see if any one has had a similar problem, but with no avail. So I guese im gonna need some help here. The long and short of it, my car was broken into and they broke the ignition switch. It sounds kinda bad butI duct taped the ignition back together, so it starts fine but they shorted something on my car. The clock, radio, and electric mirrors, don't have anypower. Ive checked all of the fuses, and the ones under the hood too. Some one said it might be a relay, but im not sure how to check those, or even which one to check. Does any one have any ideas what the problem is?

Old 02-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Default RE: help, no clock, radio, mirrors?

What year Protege to you have? Depending upon model year, there are five wires at the ignition switch that should have power to them when the key is in RUN position or engine is running. Two of them are power in and the other three are power out. You have ACC, IGN1, and IGN2. The other wire should only have power when cranking the engine. You have lost power to the ACC or Accessory wire probably because the switch is broken. This is the wire that would get power when you turn the ignition switch one click only and no dash lights have yet come on.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:06 PM

i have a 1996 mazda protege LX, the dash lights and all of the electronics work, but the sterio, clock and electric mirrors dont work. im gonna go ahead and replace the ignition since its broken anyway, hopefully thats the only thing thats wrong.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:15 AM

Do not know what part of the ignition was damaged but the area that is giving you the problem with things not working is the electrical portion and not the lock portion where you insert the key. I recently was losing wipers and heater fan intermittently on my 323 and a check of the wiring diagram revealed that all were powered up by the IGN2 portion of the ignition switch. Cleaned the contacts inside but only lasted for a couple of months before starting to fail again. Replaced the switch and all has been perfect for 6 months and counting.