Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

clock/radio display

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Default clock/radio display

My 2006 V6 sport is parked outside, i.e. in freezing temperatures.
The clock/radio display only comes on when the interior is fully warmed up after 20 minutes of driving. The radio works all the time, just no display of station, volume, etc. And when the display comes on, the clock has to be re-set.
It will be repaired under warranty, but I just wonder if anybody else has the same problem.

Old 12-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Default RE: clock/radio display

I've never had that happen to me in my mazda6. When i had an aftermarket head unit in my old Ford Explorer, the display would actually fog up from the inside and the screen would not come on for about a minute. Cold temperatures can be harsh on these head units i guess. It's no fun at all! Maybe this happens because the vehicle and all of its internals are cold and then when you apply the heat to them, everything will get have to adapt to becoming warm. What i am saying i guess is that when the items become cold, they condense such as wiring, but when they warm up.... there is room for expansion again.

Would you be able to ask your dealer why that has happened and inform us of that particular area please.... thank you ! Welcome to the Mazda Forum!

Old 12-06-2005, 07:15 PM

I've had the opposite issue twice in my 2003. The temp was upper 90's and when I returned from lunch the radio, clock and all were dead. After work everything worked fine. It happened once several months later. My service manager logged it in case of future problems. Haven't had any since.
Kevin

Old 12-30-2005, 10:30 PM

I've had my 06 Mazda6 for about two weeks now. I noticed that my display would not come on the second day I had it. Temperature outside that day was about 30 degrees. It has happened several times since then in the same way. It seems as if the LCD "freezes" if the temps stay at freezing or below for an extended period of time, in my case overnight. Not only does it go out, it cannot keep track of time. This means that when it finally does come on 15 minutes later, I have to reset it back to the correct time. Can it be repaired with a new unit?

Old 01-02-2006, 06:43 AM

I haven't had this issue with my car. But I know exactly what you folks are talking about. It happens to my cell phone when I leave it in my car for a long period of time in cold temperature. It's kind of like the digital displays have to "warm up" to function. It doesn't make much sense as to why your clock would have to be reset though.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:53 AM

Looks like you have the exact problem. The display was replaced under warranty, but not too much explanation as to what went wrong, I don't think the dealer or Mazda really care as it's not a safety issue. This is the first time for them although the car has been in production for a few years now. May be, I think, Mazda/Ford changed the supplier.
The clock has to be reset because it is an integrated part of the display: the clock buttons are with the display. The radio/CD works because the guts are in a seperate unit with its own buttons/memories, you just can't see the station/volume on the dead display.

Cell phones don't have 2 electronic units like our clock/display and radio, i.e. you should be able to call/receive if only the display is dead. The clock is controlled by the same chip for talking, it does not have to be reset because only the display needs warm up while the chip is working fine.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:51 AM

I have actually never come across this problem with my 2005 Mazda6s. It's been in temperatures in the single digits (fahrenheit) over night and when I hop in my car, no problems. For whatever reason though, this is a very common problem in the mazda 6es as I have noticed. If anyone can talk to a dealer about this situation and then post some information as to why this is happening, that would be a great help. I am curious to see what procedures will be taken to fix this problem.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:46 PM

I have a new Speed6 and I am having the same problem. Dealer has the part on back order for at least 5 others right now. Says the part is defective, and the entire module has to be replaced.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:47 PM

I have a new Speed6 and I am having the same problem. Dealer has the part on back order for at least 5 others right now. Says the part is defective, and the entire module has to be replaced.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:15 PM

Hey Rick...

I am over in Philadelphia area.....

I just got a new 2006 mazda 6 ....and i had the SAME EXACT problem...

can you tell me what your dealer did about it?

and what dealer you went to just so I can tell my dealer...which is John Kennedy Mazda...

Thanks!

Quick Reply: clock/radio display