Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Few problems with my pro. 5

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Default Few problems with my pro. 5

so i have a few problems with my 02 protege 5, love the car just not the issues, figured i could resolve them my self, but have yet to resolve any. the issues, first about a few months ago the idle dropped down to about 500-550 and as you could guess runs rough. searched a few of the post's and found some probable solutions (egr, dirty maf) just havnt had time to try. other issue and my main, is for about the same time i have had nasty what i believe to be clutch chatter. inspected my motor mounts and found front, rear and pass. side to be torn. figured it was the issue and replaced with awr 95 duro. ......( without first reading others posts about them... lol my bad) and still at the major sacrifice of comfort, clutch just doesnt want to engage without about 2000 worth of rev. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Default RE: Few problems with my pro. 5

sounds like you have a couple of clutch issues. try pumping the clutch at idle a few times and see if it engages. if it engages after a few quick pumps, then you have issues with either the master or slave cylinder (or both). if it still doesn't engage, then it is just a worn out clutch brake. if the clutch is chattering, then you have issues with the throw out bearing.

on the idle issue, check the idle air control valve. it can be cleaned the same way that the EGR is cleaned.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Default RE: Few problems with my pro. 5

Thanks for the sugestions,i have finally gotten a chance to look into some of the solutions, but have had really no luck. well, im almost completely sure its my clutch as far as the chatter, i mean it happens 90% of the time when its hot, and def. notice it more when used beyond short drives. i work at papa johns as a driver part time so its a hell of a lot more noticable then. as far as my idle issue, i have so far attempted to remove the iac, and egr to inspect and/or clean, but have not been able to remove. phillips are alomost completly stripped. [:@]whats the easiest way to remove?