Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Cruise Control Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Default Cruise Control Help

I Think I've stumped the panel. Does anyone know where the cruise control module is on a 1998 Protege??? Help, I have a 1996 Protege ES 1.8L automatic. The Cruise Control just up and quit one day. I cannot even get it to do a diagnostic. I think the module is shot. The only way I can get it to do anything in self test mode is if I hold the brake pedal down. Also, the second I press the power switch to the cruise, the vacuum pump turns on full tilt, but nothing happens. So I am thinking it is the module, Mazda Part number BC1F66320G. What else could it be??? Mazda has the part on permanent Back order, and no dealers have any in stock. I can use a module from a 1996 or 1997 with a 1.8L or any 1998 protege. For some reason both engines took this part number in 1998. Hmmmm???? I can find the module under the right side kick panel in my car because I have a shop manual. I would have never found it without it. But, I cannot find it in the 1998, which is what I am having the best luck finding in the boneyards. Both the dealer software and boneyard software says left side kick panel. ButI have had the whole dash apart ontwo different carsin the boneyard and can't find it. Even the boneyard employees in two different yards tried to find it and told me if could find it and get, I could have the part for free if I show them where it is. If anyone has a copy of the 1998 shop manual, it might help. Mazda has that on permanent back order also. I have a long trip coming up in couple of weeks and really want to get this going.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Default RE: Cruise Control Help

Shop manual for 98 is showing the cruise module to be behind the right side kick panel in pretty much the same place as on your 96. It may be a little higher though and you will have to remove the door lock timer to get up to it. Protege also needs to have the same 1.8 BP engine as yours. The 1.5 Z5 engine has the module built right into the actuator under the hood so will not have a separate module and these are much more popular so maybe you are looking for Protege with wrong engine.
What are using for entering diagnostic mode??
Here is the method from Mazda.
1. Turn ignition switch on.
2. Turn cruise main switch on.
3. Press and hold the Resume/Accel for at least 3 seconds. Cruise set indicator will illuminate for 3 seconds and then go out for at least 2 seconds. Code will then be output by flashing.
Flashes will be 1,5,7,11,12, or 15.
This of course will not work if Resume/Accel or main switch is broken.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:53 PM

Could you please help me?

i have three codes error codes and i dont know how can i fix them.

Can somebody guide on how to fix three codes with my protege 99 1.6 l.
P1512 intake manifold runner stuck closed (bank 1)
P0171 System too lean (bank 1)
P1170 Engine shut off solenoid

When i'm driving up a hill the car looses power, i could even beat him by running.

I'm not really a mechanic but i have always like to fix my cars if the work is not so complex. Can sombedoy assist me on this?

Would really appreciate it.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:17 PM

I am using the diagnositic mode you described. I get no codes with the diag, no even a blink. So, even though Mazda lists the modules for both engines and makesno mentionof there being no module in the Z5 cars in the shop manual, there is no module in the Z5 cars, which is what I have been finding in the boneyards. What you are telling me is I am going to have to find a BP 1.8L car. Got any ideas where I might find one??? Do you think I am right going after the module???

Old 06-22-2007, 06:29 PM

Yes you would need to find a 1.8 BP. 95-96with 1.5 does have a module but is different part number. 97-98 has the moduel built into the actuator with 1.5 Z5 engine. Right component is really just a guess without some electrical testing. Pump running all the time could mean faulty computer or a stuck vent solenoid in the pump. Have seen probably close to equal in which has failed but more often being the pump and then there is just no activity at all. There is yet another self test that can be performed.
Start with ignition and cruise main switch off.
Shift into D or R on Auto trans or do not depress clutch switch on manal
Turn key on.
Press the RESUME/ACCEL and cruise main switch at the same time to activate system inspection.
Cruise set indicator will light.
Now you start operating swiches and watch for specific flash pattern.
SET/COAST will give flashcode 21
RESUME/ACCELL flashcode 22
Press brake pedal will be 31
Shift into P or N or depress clutch pedal will be 35
Drive above 25 mph will flash 37.

If non of those work either then would be very suspicious of computer fault.

Poke around at this used parts locating web site and see what you can find for used parts.
http://car-part.com/

Old 06-22-2007, 08:39 PM

Hi BabyHuey,

I just went out and tried the last test and the only thing that happened is the cruise light flashed briefly (maybe 1millisecond). I received no other codes. Are you still thinking cruise module. Should I try to find a pump too...

Thank You again..

Old 06-22-2007, 10:28 PM

Not really looking for codes to be flashes at you but just more of a function test to see what buttons/switches are working and which are not. If you only got a very brief cruise light then is looking more and more like module is going fubar. Pump too... Try just a module first but is your dollar and if can get for a deal together would not be a bad choice. Have any luck at the used part link?

Old 06-23-2007, 09:23 AM

Yes, I found a couple of options, I'll know on Monday if they are good ones. I will try to get both, since I've thought that pump has been a bit noisy for the last few years. That aside, I have used the cruise control alot, I even use it on 40MPH country roads. So it is probably worth having some spares. I'll let you know how this plays out. THANK YOU.. You also helped me through another member with a P1195 code. My fix had an interesting twist. After I did everything you outlined, I still had the problem. I put my old sensor back in and replaced the EGR solenoid (the other piece on the rack that the vacuum goes through) Now I haven't thrown a code for 6 months....

Thanks

Chris