Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Cranks when it wants...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Default Cranks when it wants...

I have a 1997 Protege with 98,000 miles on it. The problem that I am having is the car will run fine, yet sometimes it will crank and other times it won't. When it doesn't crank, I let it sit for a little bit then try again and it usually will crank after trying for a bit. When it doesn't crank, it sounds like it wants to and it sounds like everything is working, it just won't crank. Also, it has twice cut off on me while driving down the road but it would crank back up immediately. Also, the RPM's tend to drop real low sometimes when I am at a stop. I get scared that it will cut off so I give it gas to keep it from stalling. I have checked the air intake hose and it is fine. I also have replaced the distributor, rotor, and cap and it still is doing this. As a matter of fact I drove it two days ago and it would crank fine at my house but not crank when I got ready to leave the store. Finally it did but it took several tries, and it cranked all yesterday and this morning but not tonight. I know I have to get the timing belt changed and am planning on doing that next week. Could this be whats causing it or is it something else? I have tried a few things to no avail so if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate them and the feedback.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:03 AM

everything you just said that it does clearly points to the fuel pump it won't be a spark problem because if it was it would just crank and crank and crank but never start, when it doesn't crank can you hear the starter clicking? if you can then its the fuel pump.