Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Condensation inside 1997 Protege

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Default Condensation inside 1997 Protege

I have a 1997 Mazda Protege. No sunroof. No air conditioning.

Starting about a year ago I noticed a large amount of condensation forming inside the car. This happens after I leave it parked over night or for a few hours. It doesn't happen while I drive - that is to say - it does not get more humid as I run the engine.

There is more humidity on the driver's side than on the passenger side. There is also more humidity in the front seat rather than in the back seat.

I was told by a repair person that I might want to replace the Door Jam molding. I didn't know what that meant - I couldn't even find this part on any auto supply sites.

Any ideas about what could be causing this and what I could do to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:00 PM

Hi Riley123:
Your mechanic gave you a good suggestion and I will add a few more.

The door jamb molding is basically the door seal, the rubber strip that goes all the way around the door on the inside. Inspect it and see if there are tears or if it is loose somewhere. You may be able to glue it rather than replace it.

Then check the window surrounds. There is this lip on the outside that seals the door to the window (weatherstrip) Make sure it is not torn.

Next look at the bottom edge of the doors. There should be drainage holes and they may be clogged. Get them unclogged with a small screw driver or something.

Check the under body to see if it has rusted through. If there is a hole it would need to be welded.
When the weather allows air out the car with all doors open.

Last edited by tanprotege; 01-10-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Default Could this be the problem?

This is a picture of the bottom of the driver side door. I think the seal you mentioned is hanging off the bottom of the door.

I'm thinking this may be it since it is usually much more humid on the driver's side than on the passenger side. I mean the driver's side seat is generally much more wet than the passenger side.

Attached Thumbnails Condensation inside 1997 Protege-0115141156.jpg  
Old 01-15-2014, 04:26 PM

Yes, it could be the problem. There is always some rain water getting through by the window seal. That is why there are drain holes at the bottom of the door. These drain holes must be kept open. If they are clogged up moisture will collect inside the door and promote rust. That door seal is normally held in place by little plastic pins that go into small holes at the door. Now if the rust has eaten away most of the bottom then the seal gets loose like that. The moisture can now get into the car and cause fogging and worse: mold.
The picture doesn't show me enough to tell that that is the case with your car. Put on some safety goggles and lie on the ground under the door. Probe around for rust. If there is no rust than all you need to do is open the drain holes and replace the door seal or glue it back in place.

If you are not the handy man (something tells me you are not) then go to a body shop or an independent mechanic.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:51 AM

Sometimes the AC drain can get clogged and the water will flow under you carpet and wet the padding etc. The AC runs when you use the Defroster also. I would check under all carpets for water. If you have water under the passenger side front carpet, make sure the rubber hose that drains the AC condense is not clogged or that it does not have something blocking it in the end. You definitely have a leak of some type.