Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

eally bad condensation in my new Mazda 5

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 AM
Default eally bad condensation in my new Mazda 5

I bought this 09 plate car last summer, this winter I'm noticing that the inside window condensation I have to wipe away in the mornings is much worse than other cars I've had. Is this normal with Mazda 5s, or something I need t investigate?

Also, I found the inside edge of front tyres completely bald after 8k miles, I'm looking at the sticky threads on this with interest.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:30 PM

A 'old indian trick' I come across in the 70's (before defrosters) was to wash all your inside windows with a mild (not too concentrated) liquid dish washing solution. I usually use a new/clean lint free cloth, lightly wetted and a few drops of a cheap fairy type of washing liquid. You will see as normal condensing conditions worsen the window becomes clearer as you end up with a wet, but clear, skin of water on the inside windscreens instead of the balled up condensate that gives the opaque steamed up look. You do need to apply it a few more times in the worse cold months as the solution is ultimately washed and evaporated away. Not too thick with the soap as it will look worse (streaky). It will take a little practice to 'master' but it costs you nothing but a little time and you can drive straight off in the mornings without using energy (fuel/watts) with AC, de-misters and defrosters. Also makes your engine and therefore you warmer negligibly quicker and driving safer as you can see out of all the windows whether reversing or pulling off at junctions etc. Also 'invest' in some 'rain away' type products as these are great for keeping windows clear in wet and noticeably at night you don't even need to put wipers on as iyt blows off and you cannot see the rain on the front windscreen. (don't tell me of for the wiper suggestion, you obviously put them on as the speed drops or the condition or situation changes.
PS It'll work in the USA too. Ha hA ha!

Last edited by GSX600FMAN; 12-13-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:53 PM

Make sure you use your AC to clear your windows and ensure the recirculated air button isn't pressed while driving. Also it helps to turn your AC off a few miles before you get home. It reduces the amount of water on the AC evaporator behind the dash and therefore the condensation in the morning. If the AC doesn't clear the windows quickly, it might not be working.