Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Caliper life

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 11:52 PM
Default Caliper life

Hi all! I have a 98 Protege LX in reasonably good shape, about 106,000 miles. I took it in not long ago to get the timing belt and water pump replaced, they also did plugs and wires to the tune of over 900 smackers. They also wanted to do the brakes, and said it might cost $500 or more because the calipers might "freeze" and need to be replaced. I called shenanigans and replaced the rotors and pads myself. It's been several months, and the car stops just fine, but it got me thinking; how long can I really expect the calipers to last? I'd hate for them to freeze just as I slam on the brakes to avoid some idiot doing what idiots do.

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2007, 12:43 AM
Default RE: Caliper life

Calipers very, very, very,very rarely just freeze matthearn. That description is more often used to try and scare you into buying some new calipers in the job. Did they also bring up that "your family and childern might be in the car when this happens" or " do you have a wife and kids that travel in this vehicle as well" ?? Calipers are probably just fine as just a method to get you to buy more product. If you did the brake job well as it sounds you did by installing new pads along with rotors then am sure you will be just fine in the repair.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:59 AM

Exactly as I suspected! Thanks for the reassurance.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:19 PM

i know a guy that used to work at m****ke. i am leaving this place unnamed because of offense that might be created from that, but you get the picture. he said that the management there would see how far they could push a simple brake job until the brake job would be ran up as high as they think the customer would let it without walking. he said there were a few people that would go in there for their scheduled maintenance and would come out every time with new rotors and calipers, parts that seldom need to be changed but would be changed every 10k or so on their cars.

that's why i do all of my own work. these people are crooked and just want all of the money that they can get out of you.