Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Brake Caliper Paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Default Brake Caliper Paint

Did anybody had the calipers painted? Is any hard to do it? I was looking at the paint kits on Ebay but I don't know if they are realiable.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Default RE: Brake Caliper Paint

Did anybody had the calipers painted? Is any hard to do it? I was looking at the paint kits on Ebay but I don't know if they are realiable.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

I have been using the Dupli-Color kit ($16-$17,) and thought that after about 15 coats and/or touch-ups I finally had the chipping problem beat. I didn't.
I'd heard about a two stepepoxy kit that the Tire Rack sells (as well as others) that's supposed to be good and as permanent as permanent gets. It's around $40 though. I'm gonna try it next.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:58 PM

When I did the F150 I used the 500 degree Duplicolor paint, I just did the Caliper brackets and the Rotors, I show the truck and I didn't want them to stand out, but I wanted the ruck to not be there

Hides the rust well

It has been on there 2 years and I need to touch it up a little where the paint got a little warmer, but that is it.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Very nice clean look Siber.I do like that. But you must not drive the truck on the streets very much. Mine have already been painted for two years and touch-up after touch-up has been necessary.
That's works on some. A friend of mine did his in black and on his Titanium Gray car (3 HB) it looked very classy... the best word I have to describe the look.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:40 PM

I had to do the Caliper Brackets after about 3 months, I don't think I got them clean enough, but they have gone about 18 months and are peeling a little again.
I plan on redoing them this winter along with spindles, control arms, backing plates, spindlesand this time I will paint the calipers.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Iworked hard to make sure mine were clean.I took my time and used brushes, wire brushes,ragsand a lot of Brakleen.Then washed them w/soap and water, andrinced them well followed by another round of Brakleen to make sure there was no residue.I know prep is the hardest part of any paint job and still they peel and chip.
It's frustrating.I don't want to have to redo them every coupla' months, so it's the epoxy paintfor them next spring. I'm told that it may very well stand up to hard use for 5 years or more before a redo or touch up is necessary.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:53 AM

I was looking at the epoxy kit in black (I don't want a Brembo Clone), I will probably go that route this time, there is a lot more shine with itand it will only be about twice the price I paid for the 4 cans of Duplicolor. But then again there will still be a bunch of Duplicolor for the rest of what I need to get done

Old 11-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Iknow what you mean about a "brembo" clone. Seems almost everybody does theirs in red... the reason I didn't want to go there either. ButI was looking to add some color. Afterall, it is a white car, and white is a value not a color.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:38 AM

I saw a white M3 the other day, it is a good looking car, but Virgin is much better lookin.

BTW, where did you get the kit for the hood, I hate prop rods [sm=smiley21.gif]

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Paint