Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

97 Protege intermittently dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Default 97 Protege intermittently dies

Hi all,
Just bought a used 97 Protege DX for my son, 50K miles, auto, pretty basic model. Have had it back to the car lot 3 times in 2 weeks for same problem; engine stalls out and dies either when put into gear or when running on the highway over 40mph, depending on if the Moon is over Pluto or not...or something. Only happens every other drive or so, which is probably why it works fine after the car lot "fixes" it, then I get a call from my son the next day after he's stranded on the Beltway. They've "cleaned a few things", "tightened a loose manifold input" and some other lame fix I can't recall. I repeatedly suggested checking the various emissions sensors since I've seen mentioned here and elsewhere but the mechanic brushes the suggestions aside with a "the check engine light isn't on." True, the check engine light has never come on, but I've read where it might not sometimes.

So anyway, my gearhead older neighbor and I decided to check a few things ourselves before I go for the "gimme my dang money back" approach. Here is what we've done and the results, I'd appreciate any feedback:
Cleaned EGR valve: some carbon but seemed to move freely enough.
Checked exhaust pressure out of tailpipe during engine revving to spot check catalytic converter, seemed like decent pressure.
Due to seeing some white smoke as the engine wound down (vice idling or revving), we compression tested the engine to rule out leaks, worn out innards and head gasket problem. All 4 cyclinders showed 188-192psi at the spark plug hole (screw in pressure gage), spec is "within 15psi".
Sprayed out throttle body, saw a small amount of buildup but nothing terrible. Throttle did move slightly freer afterwards I guess.

After all this, we got a check engine light, which turned out to be P0340 (Cam shaft sensor), but I think that was due to our testing so I just had Autozone reset it and will watch for it again. That was during a drive I took it on to get spark plugs and test drive it. I went to two stores where I turned the car off to go inside and it started up again and went with no problems. I even took the highway back and got up to 85mph (briefly, hehe) with absolutely no problems so I though "yay, I fixed it!"

...then I stopped for milk...

Came out of the convenience store, backed up and promptly stalled out when I put it in drive (I rolled back from a hill so I don't know if it would have stalled out in reverse). Rev'd it up a few times and bucked and stumbled up the hill, finally got it out on the rural road and another mile home. It seemed to get a little better by the time I got home.

Now, both places I initially stopped at were flat parking lots, the convenience store was on a hill, but then again so is my driveway and court and my son has stalled out numerous times in my court as well, facing the opposite direction also. So, I don't think it's an incline/flat thing either as near as I can tell.

So, this morning I replace the spark plugs, as the old ones looked old as the hills with carbon deposits, rounded spark posts and gaps that were set to 1.2 vice 1.0-1.1mm. Started it again and absolutely no change, still sputtering and dying when I hit the gas. As I'm explaining to my wife that this mass air flow sensor might be another idea, I tap it for emphasis and lo and behold the engine starts to die. I rev the engine and have my wife tap on it and same thing, every time she taps it real good the engine goes nuts.

I took the air box/sensor section off and for lack of anything better to do I take it apart, electronics and all, and all looks good. So I reassemble it and blow out the screen and sensor area with air and put it back together. I also work the sensor wire harness on and off a few times in case there's any corrosion in there and take it for a test drive while I drive the kids to the movies. Works like a champ, not a bit of problem. Car sits for a couple hours and then I go pick up the kids, run to the mall, etc, for about an hour of driving with one 10 minute turn off mid-way through. Still no problems, drives like a champ even with the AC on the whole time. My son drives back from the mall and says it would have died on him 5 times over by this time, he's never gotten it to run this long without dying, so that's good.

Question is, does this sound like I've found the problem (dirty MAF sensor pins maybe)? Or should I expect this thing to die on me again and keep looking?

Thanks for any help,

Old 06-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Default RE: 97 Protege intermittently dies

Hi Jeff,

I had a somewhat similar problem with my 96 protege back in 98. It ended up being the fuel filter. If your car is a 1.5l, this is pretty easy to do. It is between the firewall and the intake. On mine, a 1.8l it is an absolute B#&&$#%$. If it is a 1.8l, try to use an offset screwdriver to remove from under the car. Then, when putting it back together, take the screw out of the clamp and put it together with 2 strong cable ties. But if a 1.5l, you should be able to get at it pretty easy. If you want to, email me and I will scan the page out of my 1996 shop manual. It will give you details and how to relieve the pressure from the line.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:32 AM

Thanks, ES. I emailed my email to you, hope you got it. So far it's been driving fine for the last two days so it appears to have been the dirty MAF connector (fingers crossed). The fuel filter change certainly couldn't hurt, though, as I doubt the previous owners have had it done.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:41 PM

CRAP!!! It died and left my son stranded again yesterday. Something definitely up with the MAF, as every time I tapped it or even press on it the car sputtered (or even went over a bump). Took me two tries to drive it 15 miles home when I went to get it today. At least now it has a CEL so the car lot's mechanic can't dispute it.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:30 PM

Quick update, the car lot finally replaced the MAF (with a used part)...tapping it cause it to sputter and it died again within 1 mile and wouldn't even start after that. The CEL showed a bad MAF sensor, so the guy replaced it again with another used part and it's running fine now for the last week (extended the warranty for 30 days, plus said if it died again he would go half on a new part, so I guess that's okay).

So, cross your fingers for me...

Jeff