Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

battery light & temperature rising connected?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Default battery light & temperature rising connected?

I got my oil changed on Tuesday to prep for my smog test, and the establishment replaced a valve cover on my engine because it was leaking and causing a smokey steam to rise from my hood (right side noticeable) and smell. I didn't drive it around a lot this week, but I was in the middle of a road trip on the freeway today when I noticed the battery light come on and then my temperature start to rise close to H. It hovered around 3/4 to 7/8 to the top while on the freeway, and dipped to middle when I slowed down. Of course there was traffic and towards the end of the trip to the mechanic (where I had taken the car in the first place) it remained high on the city streets.

The mechanic (it is a fairly large establishment in Berkeley that my car is at) called and said the problem with the overheating was a belt was missing! I'm suspicious that they did not replace a part correctly when they "replaced" my valve cover. Would one job affect the other? And could that make my battery light go on? I just got a new battery at Kragen this January and my radiator was replaced in November 2005. it is a 1991 Protege and has had the water pump replaced (by this place) like 4 years ago.

The seat belt light and sound will not turn off, which is another problem I need help in resolving, but anyway, I thought maybe the battery light might be connected with that problem.

Any advice on how to disconnect the seat belt sound and/or, more importantly, the belt/valve cover/battery/thermostat connection?

Thank you!!

Old 07-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Default RE: battery light & temperature rising connected?

Lori,
When they replaced the valve cover, they probably took the serpentine belt off. This is the belt that turns the alternator, and water pump. This is why your battery light came on and the water temp went up. If you don't get everything on right, you will throw the belt off.

As far as the seat belt light, do you have the belt buckle in all the way??? If you are sure you do, then it's probably a electric contact that is bad.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:30 PM

Thank you for your fast reply, MazdaES. It definitely shed some light on the situation (and quite possibly the shotty work done by this place).

As for the seat belt light, I've been driving for well over a year with the seat belt light and sound. So yeah, I'm pretty sure the lap belt is in all the way. The plastic guides for the belts have broken though so maybe there is something bad in that connection. However, the light and sound occurs when I am not leaning back in my seat, like it is a weight/pressure thing. If I lean back, it will stop. I am assume there is a sensor in the seat that says there is a driver in it and the car is running. And that is what is going bad. But nobody I talk to can pinpoint the problem or fix electrical car issues. :-( Can I disconnect the seat belt sensor myself?

Old 07-15-2007, 08:39 AM

I would get the rubber guides replaced, and maybe try to find a new switch at a junkyard. I would look around in a junkyard for a good set of belts. In a crash, those plastic guides actually stop the belt from becoming like a rope and snapping your body parts instead of holding them in place. I still think the seat belt alarm is a screwed up buckle. Which might not be holding right. See if you can find the plug under the seat, then jumper the two contacts and see if the noise stops. If so, then the system between the plug and the dash is fine, and the problem is in the buckle switch. You could probably get away with just replacing the buckle and the rubber guides, those are the easiest things to pull out.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:35 AM

On your seatbelt warning light.....What year is your Protege? I'd be surprised if it is equipped with either a weight sensing system or a track position system for airbag deployment (those systems have only been regulated in the last few years.) The driver's seat never has a weight sensing system, only a track position sensor that detects how close the driver is to the steering wheel. I'd take a look at the connector under your seat (should be a yellow one.) and see if it is fully seated.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks everybody! I've looked under the seat before but didn't know what I was really looking for. This forum is very helpful.