Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2001 Tribute - Radiator Light comes on intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Default 2001 Tribute - Radiator Light comes on intermittently

Hi All.

I have a 2001 V6 Tribute.

Noticed a couple of months ago the radiator light came on, but the temp still stayed pretty steady in the middle.

I had the radiator drained and fluids replaced, initially gave it a 3/7 litre mix of coolant/water. The light kept coming up, so I filled up 50% mix of water and coolant as per manual. It was ok for a while, but lately I have noticed that the light is coming up more frequently.

Does anyone have any ideas why the light would be coming up? the coolant/water is new and at the right ratio, and the temperature is steady and not overheating. But I noticed that in general the light seems to come up more when I am in heaving traffic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Eric.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:29 AM

The problem with many vehicles with the radiator fluid level sensor is the sensor itself. As you stated, the level and strength appear OK. The sensor is located in the overflow container.

I am having the same problem with my Cadillac CTS as a warning comes up when I first start the car. I can releive the alarm on my control panel and do not see it until the next time I start the car. Unfortunately, many cars with the sensor are not that sophisticated and they trigger an idiot light instead.

With my wife's Tribute increasing the fluid level in the overflow tank solved the problem. The problem was occurring in the winter when the temps caused the fluid to contract more. When the car warmed up the fluid expanded and lamp turned off. The fluid level in the tank was above the low level mark even when cold, but I guess manufacturing tolerances can account for some of the slop.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:53 AM

lol idiot light I like that..

The funny thing is the light goes off after I start and stays off during continues driving. But for some reason the light comes on when I tend to be in traffic or in a lot of stop start situation. But like I said the temperature gauge is constant in the middle and not overheating.