Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

MX-6 stalls and won't start intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Default MX-6 stalls and won't start intermittently

I have a '93 MX-6 with the V-6 engine. I cleaned the negative contact on the battery of acid one day and ever since I've started having these problems. I replaced the negative battery contact. When I'm driving (either city or highway) the car will just die. And sometimes it won't start at all. I am fairly certain that it is not a fuel delivery problem. So I brought it to a mechanic to see what was wrong with it and he told me it was the distributor. So I replaced the distributor and it started up right away and while I was adjusting the timing, the car died and it won't start up since. The battery is dying because I've been cranking the engine so much without it actually firing. I made sure I put the spark plug wires in the correct order in the distributor. Has anyone else had this problem or have any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks,
Lance

Old 02-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Default RE: MX-6 stalls and won't start intermittently

We may have a similar problem. Talked to my mechanic and mention testing fuel pump if working. He said the way
to check it was removing the upper hose of the fuel filter and have someone turn the ignition to ON position only
(don't crank all the way) while you check if gas spits out from the fuel filter. But I told him I got code 28 from my diagnosis and he said that was egr solenoid. He still strongly suspect it is the fuel pump. I'll try these testing today.

Old 02-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Default RE: MX-6 stalls and won't start intermittently

Are the battery connections ok? I ask because you stated you cleaned the negative contact. I had a problem with my mx6 not starting or just dying out on my for a while I found out that my battery connection was loose.

Good luck
Naveen