Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Where is the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:24 PM

I wondered how long it would be.......

The EGR and the starting problem are not related.

The ground wire and the starting problem could be related. Clean this ground connection and tighten it. You may look for more ground connections and do the same.
If this does not cure the starting problem then get someone to turn the key while you knock on the starter with a broom stick or some thing. If that makes it go the starter solenoid is kaput.
Also find the starter relay and exchange it.

All that cranking you have been doing was not kind to the starter.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 PM

Thanks Tan, so here's where I'm at. I jumped the battery and drove to Advanced Auto Parts so they could do a systems test. Battery, Alternator, and Starter all passed. The guy doing the test told me it was probably a fuel pressure release valve.

What I don't get is why it starts when I jump it, but does not when I just going off my own battery. The battery is fully charged. When I drive it, lights don't fade and turn signals don't slow down. I did notice that when I turned on the fan for the AC the RPM's went way down and the engine died.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:37 PM

Brad:

I think you should start a new thread with this problem. It is no lnger related to the headline.
I also think you have a voltage drop somewhere. With the extra kick from a jump it goes and when you use additional electrical things there is not enough to keep it going.
Unfortunately there are so many things that I cannot pin point you to one directly.
EricTheCarGuy has a bunch of good videos on electrical issues. How to test circuits and so on. I suggest you look at some.

Also look for an explanation of the "voltage drop test". It is probably the fastest way to get to the cause of the problem. For example the voltage drop test could show you if the positive cable from the battery to the starter has increased resistance. That would be cool because it is cheaper to replace a cable than a starter. That is what I hope for: some minor thing that increases resistance somewhere. Finding that thing is the hard part.

First practical thing you can do is cleaning the heck out of all electrical connectors. Ground connectors to the body, all connectors at the starter and so on. You may be lucky and fix it just like that.

Do you see how this old car becomes an outstanding teacher? As soon as you have mastered one lesson the next chapter is opened. We try to keep your tuition bill low.