Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Belt Tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Default Belt Tensioner?

I've got a squeel from my belts when I start my car. Checking the belts, they look decent but might be slightly loose. I've looked up belt tensioner and have seen pictures but I don't see anything like that on my car (Mazda MX-3 GS).

I took a picture, please take a look and let me know if this is it.

Attached Thumbnails Belt Tensioner?-nugs-belt-tensioner.jpg  

Last edited by BengalBrad; 05-14-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:00 PM

I know you have a Chilton manual. I am sure it covers the drive belt or serpentine belt tension. Serpentine belts usually have a spring loaded tensioner. The Protege however has 2 serpentine drive belts and their tension is set by moving the power steering pump and the alternator respectively. Bad bearings and pulleys that are too smooth can also cause squeals. You can roughen up the grooves of a pulley with emery cloth.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:35 AM

Thanks Tan, I did look in the Chilton Manual and the shop manual I have. The did show the tensioner, but when I got under the car I didn't see it. The only thing I found that could be it is the part I took the picture of. That is just a metal piece that is attached to a pully. It's not attached to anything else, it has a long bolt that runs through it. The bolt goes from the top of the piece to a piece attached to the pully.

The squeel starts when I turn on the car and last for about a minute. It doesn't happen again until I restart the car latter.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:28 PM

I don't have a car to compare your description with. I wonder what the manual says about replacing the belt. When you do that you have to release the tension somehow. If it says "use a breaker bar to push or pull against a spring then you have a belt tensioner. If it says " loosen bolts at the alternator or another accessory" then you don't have a tensioner. In that case the thing in your picture is an idler pulley.
I wish the other MX3 owners would help out once in a while.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:39 PM

another thing to consider is, judging from the picture, that area is dirty with excess oil. if you get oil on the belts, besides making them slip on the pulleys, oil will make the belt expand. if the belt(s) are oil contaminated, tightening up the slack might make them break, leaving you stranded. you should first solve the excess oil problem, otherwise, taking up the slack or installing a new belt will only be temporary. if there is a timing belt under that cover, i would bet that sucker is really soaked.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:57 PM

I found this diagram when looking for the Ford Probe 6 cylinder. The engines are related.

and this is where i found it.1995 Ford Probe Alternator: 1995 Ford Probe 6 Cyl Front Wheel ...

Old 05-15-2014, 09:49 PM

From the diagram the bolt I was referring to is the adjusting belt, that helps a lot Tan.

As far as cleaning the belts, keninn, how is this done?

BB

Old 05-16-2014, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by BengalBrad
From the diagram the bolt I was referring to is the adjusting belt, that helps a lot Tan.

As far as cleaning the belts, keninn, how is this done?

BB
i would not clean the belts, you should first address the problem of WHY. find the source of the oil leak, and fix it. then install new belts.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:34 PM

The "why" was because the belt was loose, I tightened it (it is the same as my picture and the diagram Tan provided) and it works great, no more squealing. I'm not sure how to see if it's too tight now (well I know how with the gage but I don't own one), so I figure I'll loosen it a little until the squeal starts again.

I am almost done, tie rod, front brakes and tires to go!

Old 05-19-2014, 09:15 PM

You should be able to deflect the belt a little bit between two pulleys with your thumb. Try that after the alternator where the belt goes straight down.