Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Mx-3 tune up help and "hunting for idle"

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Default Mx-3 tune up help and "hunting for idle"

i'm sure this thing has not been tuned up in a while.

its a '93 m-3 1.8L.

Looking to replace the plugs and any other suggested things, I'm fairly new to auto mechanics and I'm learning. I just want to know if there is a tune up process to go by, what do I replace and what not.

Also, I'm having a problem where my engine hunts for an idle, it'll rev up between 1500 rpm and 2000 rpm constantly. So my question for that is How do I find the Vacuum leak. I've replaced a few things, like the seal for my mass airflow and it helped tremendously.

thanks for any help

- marcus

Old 08-15-2013, 03:49 PM

Hi Marcus:
You've got a great little car.
I change plugs and wires together, you may also include the coil pack(s) If that is what your engine has. In my '98 protege the coil is inside the distributor and the whole distributor must be replaced. That hurts a bit. If you have a distributor replace the cap and rotor.
To find a vacuum leak take a length of garden hose, put it against one ear and probe around the intake side with the other end while the engine idles. If you hear a hissing sound you found a leak.
Another method is using a flammable solvent (MAF sensor cleaner, carb cleaner etc) and spray that to suspected areas. When the idle improves temporarily you hit the leak. The air intake hose is a prime suspect on mazdas. Take it off and bend it, looking for cracks.
I have posted a sticky on the Protege forum called the "unofficial User's guide to the Mazda Protege". For the most part this applies to your MX 3 as well.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:08 AM

thanks much, ill have to check that out,

My air intake is aftermarket, its what the guy before me threw in. ill try both methods and see if it works. I'll also check out your guide as well!