Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

2003 MPV LX - No left turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 02:53 PM
Default 2003 MPV LX - No left turn signal

Hey folks, new member, first post after checking in at the New Member area. I just bought a 2003 MPV LX for my son because the engine blew on his Chevy pickup.
I know that when a signal bulb burns out, you get the rapid clicking of the relay, but several miles down the road after buying this car, I noticed that the left turn signal simply did not come on at all, while the right turn signal is fine, and the hazard flasher only flashed the right side. I changed the bulb, just to see if this vehicle was any different from the millions of others, but that wasn't it. I suspected the relay, and after desperately searching all over the 'net (even on this forum), I still could not find any solid advice on this. I eventually got part numbers, EFL-42 or 1R2499, and was able to order one from O' Reilly and will be picking it up in an hour. I identified where the original relay is by running the hazard lights and feeling around for a clicking box. Found it, but I couldn't pull the socket/plug/connector thingummy off, and couldn't remove the relay from where it is attached.

So now I have three questions:
1 - How do I remove the connector/plug/socket (the part with the wires) from the relay? It looks like there's a tab where you slide in a narrow flathead screwdriver, but do you pull out on it, or is sliding that in all that's needed to disengage the tab from the relay box?
2 - How do I remove the relay box from where it is attached? I couldn't find any screws, bolts, clips or other obvious modes of attachment, is it glued on or something? I couldn't find any diagrams or photos, so if you have any, please send them along; a picture is worth a hundred replies...
3- How do I test if it is the relay and not the switch assembly on the steering column? I've done one of those once before a long time ago on a long-gone car, and I don't relish the idea of doing it again, so if I can avoid it, I will.

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2023, 01:08 AM

OK, I got the connector off the bottom of the relay, plugged in the new relay, and voilą, I now have a functioning left turn signal. I still can't figure how to get the old one off of where it is stuck, does anyone have any pointers?

From the looks of the new relay, there's a slot on the top where some bracket slides in and locks on a little nub. I imagine I'll have to use a right-angle pick to lift the bracket off of the nub and slide it off from there, but I just can't see clearly enough to know. I did think of simply breaking it off, but all my wrangling threatened to bend the bracket instead of breaking the plastic of the relay box, so I took leave of that path.