Cranks but won't start - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:27 PM

Default Cranks but won't start

My wife's Millenia cranks but won't start. Just turns over but gives no sign of firing. I took it to a repair shop and they said it's getting fuel so they wanted to do a "tune up" for $1,000. They didn't even verify if it was getting spark. They assumed since it is getting fuel that it must be spark and to replace everything.
Another thing that may be a symptom is that the battery seems to drain pretty quickly while the car sits.
Any thoughts? I would like to try and sort it out myself rather than throwing money at a shop while they just take stabs at it.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenspa View Post
My wife's Millenia cranks but won't start. Just turns over but gives no sign of firing. I took it to a repair shop and they said it's getting fuel so they wanted to do a "tune up" for $1,000. They didn't even verify if it was getting spark. They assumed since it is getting fuel that it must be spark and to replace everything.
Another thing that may be a symptom is that the battery seems to drain pretty quickly while the car sits.
Any thoughts? I would like to try and sort it out myself rather than throwing money at a shop while they just take stabs at it.
Millenia L oder S?

If itīs an 2.5, change your distributor. :-)

Mine failed two times in the last years on two cars.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:12 PM

I believe it is an L model. It has a 2.5L V6. I tried the distributor cap and rotor with no luck. Coil? I have also seen a good bit online about crankshaft position indicator. I am open to try about anything.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenspa View Post
I believe it is an L model. It has a 2.5L V6. I tried the distributor cap and rotor with no luck. Coil? I have also seen a good bit online about crankshaft position indicator. I am open to try about anything.
The coil is inside the distributor - Cap and rotor is not enough.
Of course it could be the crankshaft position sensor.

https://www.justanswer.com/mazda/6mopn-ra-203.html
Old 04-18-2018, 05:37 PM

I've caught onto that now. I see it and have confirmed I know what I am looking at with pictures from parts stores. I found a webpage that gave me specs for it and it said I was suppose to be measuring 0.49-0.73 ohms. I am getting over 1 ohm. It was 1.6 or something over that. So I may have a bad coil. HOWEVER the worst part is I broke the 3 pin connector taking it off to do the measurements. No I have to locate that and figure out how to get this coil out. I am stumped on that too. Nothing on YouTube to help that I can find. I've had better days.