Cranks but won't start - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Cranks but won't start

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 04-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 10
Default Cranks but won't start

My wife's Millenia cranks but won't start. Just turns over but gives no sign of firing. I took it to a repair shop and they said it's getting fuel so they wanted to do a "tune up" for $1,000. They didn't even verify if it was getting spark. They assumed since it is getting fuel that it must be spark and to replace everything.
Another thing that may be a symptom is that the battery seems to drain pretty quickly while the car sits.
Any thoughts? I would like to try and sort it out myself rather than throwing money at a shop while they just take stabs at it.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-11-2018, 03:44 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Austria
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by joenspa View Post
My wife's Millenia cranks but won't start. Just turns over but gives no sign of firing. I took it to a repair shop and they said it's getting fuel so they wanted to do a "tune up" for $1,000. They didn't even verify if it was getting spark. They assumed since it is getting fuel that it must be spark and to replace everything.
Another thing that may be a symptom is that the battery seems to drain pretty quickly while the car sits.
Any thoughts? I would like to try and sort it out myself rather than throwing money at a shop while they just take stabs at it.
Millenia L oder S?

If its an 2.5, change your distributor. :-)

Mine failed two times in the last years on two cars.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 10
Default

I believe it is an L model. It has a 2.5L V6. I tried the distributor cap and rotor with no luck. Coil? I have also seen a good bit online about crankshaft position indicator. I am open to try about anything.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-2018, 05:20 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Austria
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by joenspa View Post
I believe it is an L model. It has a 2.5L V6. I tried the distributor cap and rotor with no luck. Coil? I have also seen a good bit online about crankshaft position indicator. I am open to try about anything.
The coil is inside the distributor - Cap and rotor is not enough.
Of course it could be the crankshaft position sensor.


https://www.justanswer.com/mazda/6mopn-ra-203.html
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-18-2018, 05:37 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 10
Default

I've caught onto that now. I see it and have confirmed I know what I am looking at with pictures from parts stores. I found a webpage that gave me specs for it and it said I was suppose to be measuring 0.49-0.73 ohms. I am getting over 1 ohm. It was 1.6 or something over that. So I may have a bad coil. HOWEVER the worst part is I broke the 3 pin connector taking it off to do the measurements. No I have to locate that and figure out how to get this coil out. I am stumped on that too. Nothing on YouTube to help that I can find. I've had better days.

 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-24-2018, 08:53 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Austria
Posts: 4
Default

You can get the coil @ autozone.
https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...971248_0_17367

Have you seen my link?
Just take out the distributor, remove cap and finger, then the coil.
Ive never changed the coil itself, but the whole distributor.

Lg, mekz.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-24-2018, 11:05 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 10
Default

I ended up getting a coil, along with plugs and wires, from Rock Auto. it's on the way. However I cannot get the coil to budge. Cap and rotor are off but the coil is in solid.
I did look at that link but it seems like the question never really got answered on removing the coil. I am hoping getting the new coil and seeing outside the car will give me some clues.
If I replace the whole distributor then I will need to reset the timing won't I?
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-25-2018, 03:01 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Austria
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by joenspa View Post
I ended up getting a coil, along with plugs and wires, from Rock Auto. it's on the way. However I cannot get the coil to budge. Cap and rotor are off but the coil is in solid.
I did look at that link but it seems like the question never really got answered on removing the coil. I am hoping getting the new coil and seeing outside the car will give me some clues.
If I replace the whole distributor then I will need to reset the timing won't I?

Have you seen this thread?

https://mazda626.net/topic/16070-hei...ninstallation/

As i wrote, ive never done it myself :-/


The link shows you, how to repair the distributor with an hei module.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-25-2018, 01:25 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 10
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by mekz View Post
Have you seen this thread?

https://mazda626.net/topic/16070-hei...ninstallation/

As i wrote, ive never done it myself :-/


The link shows you, how to repair the distributor with an hei module.
That one I haven't seen. That's great. I know what I am doing on Saturday now. Thanks!
 
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
eric1234
Mazda Protege
1
09-23-2013 09:22 PM
Orange_Monster
Mazda MPV
1
06-01-2011 05:44 PM
Gregm
Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929
0
08-04-2009 11:25 PM
chadm_88
Mazda Millenia
1
08-04-2008 02:54 PM
ansonone
Mazda MPV
1
03-27-2008 09:07 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory