Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

2001 Millenia S Starter Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Default 2001 Millenia S Starter Issue

I noticed that on very cold, below freezing nights my 2001 Millenia starter makes a horrible noise. I let off the key and it usually starts the next try. I was wondering if anyone has had that problem and how difficult it is to change the starter. I have the 2001 Mazda shop manual so that should help. Also would you trust buying a used starter motor off ebay. A new one is $200 and I see some on ebay for under $100. It might be worth the risk. Thanks for any help

Last edited by bigsey; 01-17-2013 at 07:54 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by bigsey
I noticed that on very cold, below freezing nights my 2001 Millenia starter makes a horrible noise. I let off the key and it usually starts the next try. I was wondering if anyone has had that problem and how difficult it is to change the starter. I have the 2001 Mazda shop manual so that should help. Also would you trust buying a used starter motor off ebay. A new one is $200 and I see some on ebay for under $100. It might be worth the risk. Thanks for any help
i would first try cleaning your battery contacts, then cleaning your grounds to the engine. when a battery gets really cold, it loses power. you can get your battery tested for free at many chain auto parts stores. the millenia does not like a battery that is low. when you try to remove the starter, you will wish you first exhausted all easy means because it is not easy to pull.

now, to get the starter out, you will have to pull the battery and the battery box. not a big deal, HOWEVER, there are 3 bolts holding the starter, and 1 of the bolts IS a big deal. right where the bolts are is a big part of the wiring harness, and the fuel lines. if you can get that one bolt out, the others are easy. if you cannot, you will NEVER remove the starter. with that in mind, i always buy parts based on the difficulty of install. if the part is a pita to install, i want one with will work and last from the get go. sometimes the cheap comes out the most expensive.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the tips Keninn! The battery is 1 year old and is a EverStart Maxx 35N, it was the biggest I could find. I will check and clean all the contacts as you suggested. I know that working on the miller engine is something I want to avoid if possible.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by bigsey
Thanks for the tips Keninn! The battery is 1 year old and is a EverStart Maxx 35N, it was the biggest I could find. I will check and clean all the contacts as you suggested. I know that working on the miller engine is something I want to avoid if possible.
i sold auto parts for more than 25 years. i have seen brand new parts bad from the get go. i would first go to an autozone or oreilly's, and have a load test done. they have a portable tester that will also test the starter and alternator. if the alternator is not up to par, it will drain the battery. load test is easy. change battery is really easy, same for cleaning contacts. even the starter contacts are not bad, still gotta pull the battery/box.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:26 AM

Well I guess I might have to deal with that starter issue when the weather warms up here. I have put off taking out the battery box and cleaning the starter connections as suggested because of mitagating circumstances. I also haven't had the starter/alternator/battery checked out yet but I will in the next day or two after tonights episode. I went out to start my car for work. The ambient was 5 degrees with wind blowing out of the north. I looked into the drivers side window and noticed the security light didn't flash when I grabbed the door handle. I knew that was a bad sign. I then tried to turn the car over and nothing happened. I tried a couple more times and then finally the starter slowly turned over and the car fired up. I debated wether to drive it too work because not only did it hesitate to start but now the CEL is on. I also noticed an electrical smell while it was cranking over.
I really think I should just remove the started and have it rebuilt. It costs about $80 and the guy who does them here in town is really reputable. I am going to autozone after work and have them read the codes and test the starting system just to see what the computer says. That electrical smell has me believing it is indeed the starter though. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated. Thanks again for the help.