Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2001 tribute starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Default 2001 tribute starting issue

Hi all,

I have a Mazda tribute es v-6 4 x 4 01'

had weird issues lately. It started when I sent the vehicle back east for about 6 months. I purchased a new battery new tires and gave it a tune up. all was fine at that time. when I shipped it back I started having starting issues. I took it to a dealer and they charged me 125.00 to tell me it might be the battery. I went out and bought a new battery and it was fine for about 2 weeks. Then I read thru my manual and promply changed the starter/soleniod combo. All was fine for the past 2 months. Now I have the same issue again. I'll drive it stop, do shop shopping or whatever-come back and it wont start again. Weird!!
Although I bought and installed a new starter/solenoid, could it have gone bad after 2 months? The vehicle is in real good shape, and have kept up with all the oil changes etc. Dont know what it could be.

Another thing: when I turn the key I hear the fuel engage, all the lights come on, everything works except the starting. Maybe its the ignition switch?

any help would be appreciated

Old 05-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Default RE: 2001 tribute starting issue

Ignition switch, maybe an intermittent ground on the starter. Take a look at the ground wire coming off of the starter and see if there is any corrosion at either end. If the starter doesn't have a good ground, it doesn't have a good circuit.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:16 AM

I previously stated:

I went out and bought a new battery and it was fine for about 2 weeks. Then I read thru my manual and promply changed the starter/soleniod combo. All was fine for the past 2 months.

Let me elaborate;
I drove the vehicle, turned it off, came back after about 30mins then it wouldnt start!.
So I waited about 24hours, turned the key and walla it starts!
This was the exact same issue I had from the beginning, dont know what it could be. I could see if it would start and then not start every time I drove it. But thats not the case!
As previously stated, I changed the starter/solenoid combo as I thought it was getting too hot (soleniod) and as they come only as a combo- they both had to be changed.

Still at a loss. Dont think it could be an ignition switch (who knows!) as that would cause the starting issues all the time!

Any body?

Old 05-14-2007, 07:02 AM

Intermittent function generally points to a poor/weak ground. I still say track down your wiring.