Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Transfer Case Failed - CX-9 Australia

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 09:38 PM
Default Transfer Case Failed - CX-9 Australia

Hi All, just thought I'd add my tale to the hundreds of others worldwide regarding the CX-9 transfer case.

Purchased a 2008 CX-9 Luxury in Sept 2016. Did research, read about transfer case. Car had full Mazda service history from another state and drove perfectly.

I contacted local dealer about getting the transfer case fluid changed and the service manager became defensive saying what a waste of time, there is no need etc. I mentioned the internet and forums at which point he became rude and said the forums are a load of rubbish and not to believe anything about amateur people providing wrong advice. I wasn't going to get anywhere with him so hung up.

Rang the next closest dealer who listed and said they could change it for $200 but advised unless I could hear, feel or smell something was wrong, leave it alone as changing the fluid could cause more issues. I wasn't 100% convinced but felt they know more than I do so I left it and went about enjoying my CX-9.

Sept 2017, a year later I thought I began to smell transmission fluid. No other symptoms, still driving perfectly. I put it on the ramps and checked for any leaks, felt around TC breather - no leaks anywhere. Next day, stopped at some lights and the smell was much worse, like an open bottle of trans fluid right under my nose. Took it home and shone a torch down to the TC and there was black fluid everywhere coming out of the TC breather.
I took it to the nice dealer, they checked the fluid and confirmed internal failure as the fluid is full of metal shavings. Quoted $3500 just for a new TC.
I use the term fluid loosely, its a thick black paste full of silver shavings. Clearly this fluid has broken down over 10 years and worn the gears of the TC to the point of failure.

I've drove it home, parked it and left it alone. I checked the internet / ebay for the best option. I've managed to get a new US based TC for $1450 landed and a local transmission shop to fit it for $650. New TC should arrive in a week. Just what I need before Xmas. Assuming the trans is OK as its still driving fine, just caught it in time before it seized and stripped the trans

So to all you previous generation CX-9 owners that have not changed your fluid, please do so ASAP. Its a case of when the TC will fail, not if!

Old 12-04-2017, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen a few CX-9s with the Transfer Case/PTO die. The worst I've seen is the transfer case locked up & split the housing into multiple pieces.

Apart from the electric windows it's really the only other common fault. A very expensive fault.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:09 PM

Yes I read about those and saw some amazing pics of the housing split open and then the dreaded auto trans splines stripped. I am just glad I caught it before that stage, I'd hate to be sourcing a transmission as well.

The cost of a TC in Oz is just staggering - I've had many Euro cars and have never had to spend anywhere near $2K for anything, providing you do your homework and stay away from dealers

Overall though, as you say, the CX9 seems relatively trouble free - once this is sorted I'm confident she'll keep going for many years to come.

Old 08-19-2022, 03:20 AM

Hi people. I know this is an old thread but please read as I think I have found a way to get a positive outcome for everybody who is experiencing this issue. But we need numbers to have a voice!!

I too have the same issue with my 2011 CX-9 despite taking it in while under warranty as the transmission was behaving strangely (a case of every time I took it in it didn't show off the strange sounds). I recently parked it up after receiving a rough estimate of $6000-7000 to repair while deciding what to do and this is what I'm doing...

I have lodged a complaint against Mazda with a company here in Australia that has been taking on some big car companies and getting results for customers. They are called Handle My Complaint and were showcased on A Current Affair about a month ago.

They can see there is a definite issue here and if more people lodge complaints with them about the same issue, there is hope that we can get free repairs or refunds on money spent and even potentially a class action if there are enough people with the same problem.

Sooo....

If you are experiencing the same problem, please lodge your complaint here: https://resolve.handlemycomplaint.com.au
Select Automotive, New or Used vehicle (depending on if you bought it new or used), Manufacturer, Service/repairs
Then select Transfer case and any other issues that apply. Nominate Mazda as the organisation

There is no stress involved in tackling the issue this way. There's no cost involved and you don't have to deal directly with Mazda as Handle My Complaint act as the go between, literally 'handling the complaint' for you.

So there's nothing to lose and everything to gain. Please jump on the website and lodge a complaint and hopefully we can all get some results!

Old 12-14-2023, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by juzandbec
Hi All, just thought I'd add my tale to the hundreds of others worldwide regarding the CX-9 transfer case.

Purchased a 2008 CX-9 Luxury in Sept 2016. Did research, read about transfer case. Car had full Mazda service history from another state and drove perfectly.

I contacted local dealer about getting the transfer case fluid changed and the service manager became defensive saying what a waste of time, there is no need etc. I mentioned the internet and forums at which point he became rude and said the forums are a load of rubbish and not to believe anything about amateur people providing wrong advice. I wasn't going to get anywhere with him so hung up.

Rang the next closest dealer who listed and said they could change it for $200 but advised unless I could hear, feel or smell something was wrong, leave it alone as changing the fluid could cause more issues. I wasn't 100% convinced but felt they know more than I do so I left it and went about enjoying my CX-9.

Sept 2017, a year later I thought I began to smell transmission fluid. No other symptoms, still driving perfectly. I put it on the ramps and checked for any leaks, felt around TC breather - no leaks anywhere. Next day, stopped at some lights and the smell was much worse, like an open bottle of trans fluid right under my nose. Took it home and shone a torch down to the TC and there was black fluid everywhere coming out of the TC breather.
I took it to the nice dealer, they checked the fluid and confirmed internal failure as the fluid is full of metal shavings. Quoted $3500 just for a new TC.
I use the term fluid loosely, its a thick black paste full of silver shavings. Clearly this fluid has broken down over 10 years and worn the gears of the TC to the point of failure.

I've drove it home, parked it and left it alone. I checked the internet / ebay for the best option. I've managed to get a new US based TC for $1450 landed and a local transmission shop to fit it for $650. New TC should arrive in a week. Just what I need before Xmas. Assuming the trans is OK as its still driving fine, just caught it in time before it seized and stripped the trans

So to all you previous generation CX-9 owners that have not changed your fluid, please do so ASAP. Its a case of when the TC will fail, not if!
Hi.
Thanks for the info. Do you have the workshop details who did the changeover? Thanks again

Old 01-08-2024, 11:53 PM

Hi.

Which mechanic / local transmission workshop changed over your transfer case?

Thanks

Old 01-26-2024, 11:22 PM

Hi.

Can you advise which mechanic changed the TC over and if your transmission was fine when changed?

Thanks

Old 01-27-2024, 09:08 AM
Default 2016 CX-9 Transfer case

Originally Posted by juzandbec

I have 104K on my 2015 CX-9 Grand Touring. I stopped at my local FL Mazda dealer and inquired about getting the TC fluid changed. He inquired if the fluid had been changed regularly. As we bought the car from a Mazda dealer used with 95K, we didn't have complete service records so I didn't have the answer to that question. He then advised, don't do anything. Don't change the fluid as it will most likely clean the TC and it will fail shortly after. He related one owner insisted on a fluid change and car just barely made it out of the service bay before complete failure. So fingers crossed I'm adhering to "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Old 01-28-2024, 01:29 PM
Default 2nd Generation CX-9 Transfer Case Oil Spec.

A lot of postings on TC failures because owners are told that the fluid is 'life-time' and no maintenance is required. Most car people know that no oil is 'life-time'.
My question is Mazda specifies: 'Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1' for both the TC and rear axle. Online this oil is about $40 per quart, that seems rather spendy.
Is there an acceptable [size=13px]substitute? Some say API GL-4 is fine, others say only use[/size] 'Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1'[size=13px]. [/size]
[size=13px]I can buy Amsoil, Red Line, Mobile 1, etc. for about half the price.
Finally, what about oils that claim to be both API GL-4 and API GL-5 compatible?
I plan on changing the TC and differential on my 2023 CX-9 in the next 6 months, any suggestions will be appreciated.[/size]