Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Is there a class-action lawsuit against Mazda for the CX-9 PTU (transfer case) ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 04:59 PM
Default Is there a class-action lawsuit against Mazda for the CX-9 PTU (transfer case) ?

Hi all,

I just blew $3,600 replacing a defective PTU on my 2008 CX-9. The PTU seized up and as a result destroyed the transmission.

No help from Mazda for the repair.

This is a very common, well known problem for all CX-9 AWD models up through 2015, one that Mazda refuses to address.

Does anyone know of a class-action lawsuit against Mazda for this?

I reported it to the NHTSA as well.

Thanks,
Sasha

Old 04-07-2017, 01:14 AM

We have just had it confirmed that our Mazda CX-9 has suffered the same fete as yours above. At 108,000 kms it's been rendered not worth repairing due to transfer case issues. I'd had it serviced last week only to have it start making a strange noise and an absolute stench of gas in the cabin. I quickly shot it off to my mechanic who delivered the bad news to us. After researching this issue I can see it is systemic and it sounds like some cases have been quite dangerous. This car shouldn't even be on the road. There is no doubt in my mind that a class action should be brought against Mazda. I'm in for sure. I now have a useless and worthless car let alone the inconvenience of not being able to get from A to B.

Old 08-19-2022, 03:14 AM

I know this is an old thread but I'm urging anyone who has had this issue to pease read as I think I have found a way to get a positive outcome for everybody who is experiencing this issue. But we need numbers to have a voice!!

I too have the same issue with my 2011 CX-9 despite taking it in while under warranty as the transmission was behaving strangely (a case of every time I took it in it didn't show off the strange sounds). I recently parked it up after receiving a rough estimate of $6000-7000 to repair while deciding what to do and this is what I'm doing...

I have lodged a complaint against Mazda with a company here in Australia that has been taking on some big car companies and getting results for customers. They are called Handle My Complaint and were showcased on A Current Affair about a month ago.

They can see there is a definite issue here and if more people lodge complaints with them about the same issue, there is hope that we can get free repairs or refunds on money spent and even potentially a class action if there are enough people with the same problem.

Sooo....

If you are experiencing the same problem, please lodge your complaint here: https://resolve.handlemycomplaint.com.au
Select Automotive, New or Used vehicle (depending on if you bought it new or used), Manufacturer, Service/repairs
Then select Transfer case and any other issues that apply. Nominate Mazda as the organisation

There is no stress involved in tackling the issue this way. There's no cost involved and you don't have to deal directly with Mazda as Handle My Complaint act as the go between, literally 'handling the complaint' for you.

So there's nothing to lose and everything to gain. Please jump on the website and lodge a complaint and hopefully we can all get some results!

Old 09-11-2022, 02:28 AM
Default Let's start a class action

Originally Posted by sashapave
Hi all,

I just blew $3,600 replacing a defective PTU on my 2008 CX-9. The PTU seized up and as a result destroyed the transmission.

No help from Mazda for the repair.

This is a very common, well known problem for all CX-9 AWD models up through 2015, one that Mazda refuses to address.

Does anyone know of a class-action lawsuit against Mazda for this?

I reported it to the NHTSA as well.

Thanks,
Sasha
Hi Sasha,

There's no class action yet but together we can start one! Handle My Complaint is encouraging us to lodge our complaint with them and if we get enough people with the same problem, they can compel Mazda to take action OR they can help us talk to class action lawyers.

If keen, please lodge your complaint using this link: https://resolve.handlemycomplaint.com.au

Then select
→ Automotive,
→ New or Used vehicle (depending on if you bought it new or used),
→ Manufacturer,
→ Service/repairs
→ Then select transfer case and any other issues that apply.

Together we are strong!

Old 09-11-2022, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cathy Mac
We have just had it confirmed that our Mazda CX-9 has suffered the same fete as yours above. At 108,000 kms it's been rendered not worth repairing due to transfer case issues. I'd had it serviced last week only to have it start making a strange noise and an absolute stench of gas in the cabin. I quickly shot it off to my mechanic who delivered the bad news to us. After researching this issue I can see it is systemic and it sounds like some cases have been quite dangerous. This car shouldn't even be on the road. There is no doubt in my mind that a class action should be brought against Mazda. I'm in for sure. I now have a useless and worthless car let alone the inconvenience of not being able to get from A to B.
Hi Cathy Mac,

There's no class action yet but together we can start one! Handle My Complaint is encouraging us to lodge our complaint with them and if we get enough people with the same problem, they can compel Mazda to take action OR they can help us talk to class action lawyers.

If keen, please lodge your complaint using this link: https://resolve.handlemycomplaint.com.au

Then select
→ Automotive,
→ New or Used vehicle (depending on if you bought it new or used),
→ Manufacturer,
→ Service/repairs
→ Then select transfer case and any other issues that apply.

Together we are strong!

Old 10-26-2022, 04:12 PM
Default Class action

In Australia, "it takes only seven (7) or more complainants who have claims with the same person or company where the claims arise out of the same, similar or related circumstances; and, the claims give rise to at least one substantial, common issue of law or fact" , I got this with a quick online search produced by www.ashurst.com - they look like a legal firm promoting 'Quick Guide Class Actions in Australia/ashurst.
I'm in Auckland, NZ and I'm having exactly the same problem.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:11 PM

Hi.

Any luck with class action against Mazda?

Old 12-14-2023, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by maps
Hi.

Any luck with class action against Mazda?
Information for USA not outside of USA which has different laws and qualification for group law suits.

I suggest that you all read what a "class action suit is" exactly how it works and who pays for the suit. It is easy to suggest it but you need to first find a law firm willing to do this unless you have endless supply of income and consulting attorneys.

It like they say don't cry wolf and say I am going to sue unless you are ready willing and be if necessary to go the distance which in these cases having to do with defects of parts never pays back the loss to the victims completely and the law firm is always the winner that takes these cases in the end.