Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

CX-9 Electrical Problems = Body Control Module Water Damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Default CX-9 Electrical Problems = Body Control Module Water Damage

Recently had wierd electrical problems with remote entry device, turn signals not working, internal electric locks not working, dashboard lights (TCS Off, Brake, door ajar, oil indicator), lights going on while parked in garage that drained my battery.

Took the car to the dealer and they determined my Body Control Module (BCM) has water damage caused from clogged drains from the sunroof. The sunroof has drains going down front window side frames down to the bottom of chasis. The drains clogged and water leaked on BCM. The BCM replacement is $650 and cleaning the drains is $114 for total of $774!

The dealer told me that the drains need to be maintained. I asked if the instructions are in the manual and they stated that the manual DOES NOT have directions to clean and maintain the drains.

Anyone else have this issue and know how to clean the sunroof drains?

Old 05-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Default I have the same problem!! uuug!

How old was your car when this happend? Mine is 3 1/2 yrs old and I'ts at the dealer now. They're telling me it's going to be the same fortune that you paid. Was anything resolved or did they just send you packing and you're on your way. They havn't actually told me it's the sunroof. They say the "Water Dr" (whoever they are) are coming to look,but from what you're saying I'm now expecting the same result. How in the world can this be the consumers fault or problem to fix?! To boot, the dealership is horrible and I wish I had never gotten my car from there. That just makes things worse.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by stevof
Anyone else have this issue and know how to clean the sunroof drains?
I was able to clear mine with a long moderately stiff piece of string trimmer line. I worked it in and out and down most or all the way through, and then confirmed it had worked and flushed by taking a small watering can and pouring a lot of water through the drains on both sides.