Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Starter engaging randomly

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:21 AM
Default Starter engaging randomly

Hi, I'm looking for some help with my parents tribute. I went to move it today and found both foot wells had at least half an inch of water in them, seats weren't wet so I can rule out the sunroof, and the dash didn't seem to be wet so likely not windscreen or window seals.

Any ideas where it could be coming from?

The main issue however is that the starter motor now seems to be randomly engaging. Once the car was started it make a loud screeching noise, like metal on metal. My dad tried it just then and it didnt occur for a good minute, then it intermittently starting screeching, air con was off at the time. It also engaged when the ignition was still in the on position. Could this indicate that the ignition has maybe gotten water in it and is short circuiting, leading to it intermittently engaging?

Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated, its my mums work car and having it off the road means I have to get up early and drive her to work.

Thanks, Jordan

Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 AM

Welcome to the forums! If you could give us more information about your car, year, engine, trans etc that would help ALOT more It may still be the sunroof, the sunroof drains usually run down the pillars so if one or more are plugged up water can get inside, it could also be coming in through the vent system if the drain there is also plugged up. Take a hose to the car in one area for 5-10 mins and search inside for any water coming in, I would also vacuum out as much water as you can, put in a dehumidifier and let it run for a few days to help dry out the inside as well. It does sound like you could have wet connections in the ignition switch but that should go away once you dry out the inside. Always hard trying to find a leak, was there water in the rear foot wells or just the front two? Door and window seals can also be the problem and also door drains, if they are plugged up then the door fills with water till it reaches a point it can come out, thats usually to the inside at a cutout in the door. Shake the door and see if it sloshes.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Banned
Default Sunroofs are a waste of $$$$$$

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
It may still be the sunroof, the sunroof drains usually run down the pillars so if one or more are plugged up water can get inside,
Sunroofs are totally useless. Who wants to let more light in. Your in a small space just open a window a bit.
The only thing good about a sunroof is if you have babies or dates to see the moonlight. The latter rarely happens.
Don't ever waste money on a sunroof! Ever forget to close it!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
Sunroofs are totally useless. Who wants to let more light in. Your in a small space just open a window a bit.
The only thing good about a sunroof is if you have babies or dates to see the moonlight. The latter rarely happens.
Don't ever waste money on a sunroof! Ever forget to close it!
You got that totally wrong, Noggin You need the sunroof or the passenger ejection seat is getting cought when you push the button.That defeats the purpose!

I believe sunroofs started in Europe. They were slow in adding air conditioning (temperate climate) and the sunroof did help with ventilation with much less buffeting of the air compared to an open window. But a hole in the roof is a hole in the roof.

Put a little deicer in the ignition, that should wash out any moisture.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Banned
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tanprotege
You got that totally wrong, Noggin You need the sunroof or the passenger ejection seat is getting cought when you push the button.
Oh Ya, that would come in handy on a bad date or when someone argues with you when you're driving! LOL

Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 AM

Hahahahahaha an ejector seat would hurt without a sunroof lol

Thanks for the help, its a 2003 tribute classic. 3L v6 with an auto trans. Right hand drive (Australia) model too if that makes any difference.

Im pretty sure i got most of the water out, none in the rear footwells that i could see, none in the doors either. What I did notice was some light surface rust on the metal brackets behind the glove box, I figured that must be the entry area and looked a bit further, the back of the glove box surround had dirty dry water marks on it and a screw hole had some water in it. This was on the plastic not the firewall, so i have no idea how it got there, maybe it sprayed in or ran along the plastic from the top where it meets the pillar.

This is all on the opposite side to the ignition though, however it did pass straight through the main fuse box, drenching it...Could another fuse be shorting to the ignition fuse causing the issues its got? Ive dried it out and will try it tomorrow

What do the sunroof drains comprise of? Just channels for the water to go through the pillar or actual piping? Is it easy to clean them out?

Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jordan Pascoe
however it did pass straight through the main fuse box, drenching it...
That's definitely not a good sign.
I had a Van that had water in main fuse area as well. Spent a few hours trying to figure it out and even spent a couple hundred at a body shop. I hope i found the problem but it was a big pain nightmare. I sold the Van shortly after that and bought my Mazda. Dealers actually bring in some guy that does this, somebody like the Water Doctor or something.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:00 AM

Sorry guys I completely forgot to reply.

The starter issue was caused by the fuse box getting wet, and the water was coming in because the passenger side sunroof drain was blocked, it surprised me how it was more or less designed to leak, but if it works it works haha

So now its back driving without any issues at all, no more leaks and all the water is dried up

Thanks for all the help, it was invaluable