Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Strange overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 08:02 PM

Problem solved. It was just the thermostat it seems. I'm not sure why the mechanic I took it to didn't try that first thing. Since this originally happened out of town, I did not know the mechanic. Anyway, thanks much to @Callisto for the help.

BTW. I learned a trick for installing the serpentine belt. I used the zip-tie trick. I hope this helps someone.
I used a K060905 belt, but I have a K060905A belt coming soon that is 3/16" longer and I probably will replace the 905 belt with the 905A belt when it arrives.
1. Put the belt over the tensioner pulley. This must be done first so you can put a 14mm shallow socket or 14mm wrench on the tensioner. Once a wrench or socket is on the pulley bolt there is no room to slide the belt over the pulley.
2. After the belt is on the tensioner pulley, use a 14m wrench to rotate the tensioner clockwise until you hit the stop. Then tie off the end of the wrench to something under the car so the tensioner is held in the released position. I used rope and tied off the end of the wrench but a ratchet strap may have worked better. If you are lucky then you may have enough belt slack now to put the belt on the rest of the pulleys and you are done. I was not so lucky. So continue if necessary.
3. Put the belt over all pulleys EXCEPT the power-steering pulley.
4. From under the car, put 3 to 4 zip-ties to hold the belt on the bottom side of the crankshaft pulley. I started there because accessing the top side of the crank pulley was impossible.
5. Once the belt is zip-tied to the pulley, rotate the crank clockwise with a 21mm socket to bring the zip-tied section up to the top of the crank pulley.
6. Now pull the belt off the lower side of the crankshaft pulley to make enough belt slack to get the belt over the power steering pump. Make sure you leave the socket on the crank pulley.
7. From the top side, put the belt on the power steering pump.
8. From underneath the car, use the socket and ratchet to rotate the crank counter-clockwise so you are pulling the belt from the water pump pulley onto the crankshaft pulley. While you are doing this, make sure the belt does not walk off of the A/C compressor pulley. This happened to me the first time.j
9. Once you have rotated the crank 180 degrees counter-clockwise the belt should be on.
10. Visually check all pulleys to ensure the belt is in the grooves.
11. Cut off the zip-ties.
12. Untie the wrench that was holding the tensioner in the released position. If it's like my situation, the tensioner didn't really move so there was no force on the wrench.

Old 10-21-2023, 02:56 AM
Default Broken Manifold part...

Originally Posted by beatsaudio
I can post a picture of my broken coolant outlet (a piece of plastic that attaches to the aluminum head on the drivers side) for reference. My comment is a little unclear about further repairs. I meant that the new outlet box and seal has not solved the overheating problem which leads me to think it was caused by something else that is difficult to diagnose (as in your situation). The car goes from cold to warm up okay, the return radiator hose on top gets hot eventually (which should mean that the thermostat opens) at 190'F or so as it should. Then the dash gauge goes to redline after trying to drive the car of a minute or two at low speed.
I created a video on repairing/replacing the plastic part yuou are talking about... (link here
) but I never considered where the broken piece may have ended up... My daughters car 2 years on is consuming coolant and I think its disapearing thru the headgasket and out the pistons... probably a $2000 repair...