General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dealership Service Negligence

Old 10-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Default Radiator ran dry due to faulty dealership service

Based on the recommendation of my dealership's service department I replaced my 2000 Miata radiator due to a small crack in the neck of the radiator. (Quick history - my car was purchased new, cared for like a baby and has only been driven 64,000 miles in 16 years). I picked up the car yesterday and drove it home which is about 25 minutes away. As I approached my home I noticed the engine sounded "louder" than normal. I'm not a mechanic but it sounded like valves "ticking". As soon as I pulled in the driveway and slowed the car to a stop the engine began "shuddering". I quickly turned off the ignition. After 5 minutes or so I tried to start the car and the engine would fire for second or two then die.

I opened the hood and noticed that the coolant reservoir was empty. Then I carefully removed the radiator cap and saw no visiible coolant in the radiator nor was there any built up pressure from removing the cap. I checked the ground below the radiator and there was no coolant present. I called the dealership reported these problems and asked them to send a wrecker to pick up the car because it appeared their service tech had not refilled my radiator with coolant. The dealership later reported that a radiator hose clamp had failed causing my car to lose coolant. They replaced the clamp and returned my car.

My question and concern is what damage or potential damage has been caused by this poor service work by my dealership. Of course, they said there was no harm to my car but I'm suspicious. Since the car was driven 25 minutes constantly losing coolant to the point it was empty resulting in overheating and running "rough" I'm concerned that my car may have suffered further damage or may soon have future problems due to this overheating which the dealership, I'm sure, would not have admitted to me.

Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by TeeBall; 10-22-2016 at 09:32 AM. Reason: More descriptive title
Old 10-22-2016, 09:34 PM

Didnt notice the coolant temp gauge? no warning lights? That would be your sign. Obviously if you do not have coolant, temps CAN get high enough for your engine to seize. Only way to tell if it got that hot was by looking at the needle.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

If the coolant level gets too low, there is nothing for the coolant temperature sensor to read & it wont go up or down.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
If the coolant level gets too low, there is nothing for the coolant temperature sensor to read & it wont go up or down.
I think you are spot on here. When I tried to restart the car a few minutes later I did look at the temperature gauge and the needle just barely moved above the "cold" setting. Thanks for your response.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by JeffMD
Didnt notice the coolant temp gauge? no warning lights? That would be your sign. Obviously if you do not have coolant, temps CAN get high enough for your engine to seize. Only way to tell if it got that hot was by looking at the needle.
Thanks for your response. I was driving in heavy traffic most of the way home and I didn't notice any warning lights nor do I remember checking the temperature gauge. In retrospect I certainly should have. It's sad that consumers can't trust their dealership's service department to satisfactorily complete and test their repair work. I've learned my lesson, from now on, I will be suspect of any repair work and be more diligent in looking for incompetent repairs.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:42 PM

teeball, yea unfortunately they only replace what is needed to be replaced, so if a clamp is reused and is near failing the removal/reattachment of it pushes it past the breaking point, and it is hard to notice unless it results in instant symptoms.

I would think the coolant sensor would be able to tell if its submerged, seems kind of like a big fail point if it can't tell you your engine temp due to low levels.