Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

More problems... overheating.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Default More problems... overheating.

My car must hate me... I did what Baby Huey said... Got the Air Intake Hose... Me being me ... I replaced it myself... Wasnt hard.. just some clamps. Anyways.... I drove my precious 929 home and It freaking overheated... I kept driving it because I was on the interstate and had to get home.. Anyways, It didn't overheat severly just the temperature gauge went up 3/4 of the way... To close for comfort... My boyfriend told me to turn the heat up all the way and on high.. which I did.. It was blowing cold air in my face.. The temperature did go down though. When I got in town.. going down from 80mph to 50mph for the first time since I bought the car my heater worked.. It got hot in there fast.. When I got home, I lifted my hood and turned my car off... I'm guessing theres an overflow valve in the Radiator Coolant Resevior because on the top of my resevior theres a lil square where the coolant was leaking out of.. Also I hard bubbles.. Like water boiling..
My problem is I have no clue why in the world it would overheat.. Its never done this before... Anyone know anything?

Old 03-21-2006, 01:55 AM
Default RE: More problems... overheating.

If this problem just started, it sounds like a sticking thermostat. If it is not opening all the way, it will restrict coolant flow. If the coolant is full, I would less suspect a partially clogged radiator, or a water pump impeller problem.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:32 AM

Was the coolant that you saw on top of the radiator area or on the overflow bottle at the drivers front corner of the engine compartment. Also have you had a chance to see if the coolant level is low or not? There are a ton of different reasons why an engine will overheat. Am very curious why when the engine began to overheat that you finally had heat inside for the first time???

Old 03-21-2006, 04:44 PM

I got a mechanic to look at it today and he said its probably my thermostat and also he could stop the fan with his hand. He said thats not a good thing and to go get a fan clutch. I went to AutoZone, not the same ones that broke the intake hose, and bought a thermostat for $9.99. They looked on the computer and said the fan clutch is not required for my car. The lady called Mazda dealership and they said they dont have it either... It's messed up because I actually have a fan clutch.. I guess I'll just put the thermostat in...

Old 03-21-2006, 04:45 PM

It was in the corner.... I dont know.. Like I wrote BKEY... I got a new thermostat... maybe thats the problem.. You know where I can get a fan clutch?

Old 03-21-2006, 07:24 PM

Definitely start with the thermostat. It is the cheapest part, easiest to replace and most probable to have caused the problem. You can stop a fan clutch by hand if the air coming thru the radiator is not hot enough to trip the bimetal trigger. A factory fan clutch is Mazda part #JE48-15-150C and retails for $311.65. Below is a link to less expensive part if you feel it should be replaced. Might try to google around a little more and might find one for less.

http://www.partstrain.com/products/E...~929--002.html

Old 03-21-2006, 08:52 PM

I would for sure try the thermostat first too. If the fan clutch was bad, that would not have any effect on engine temp while on the highway. The temp would creep up while stuck in stop and go traffic and go back down after going about 25 mph or more it that was the case. The fan is only needed while the car is moving slow or not moving.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:48 PM

My 929's heater doesn't heat up very well, either. Onlyhad it a few months. Water pump is new, so is thermostat. Guy who sold it to me never mentioned that.