Mazda CX-60 This Plug-In Hybrid (PHEV) SUV is for folks who want to get out and go off-road while being environmentally friendly!

CX60 New (UK) Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 06:25 AM
Default CX60 New (UK) Owner

I sold my (diesel) Mercedes 350E AMG Line Night Edition Premium Plus that I originally purchased at a bargain price during dire (Covid) trading conditions. Amazingly, it lost only 11% depreciation over three years, but correspondingly, new and used prices have soared. The challenge then was finding an affordable premium PHEV SUV with as satisfying a specification.

Previously a "brand snob", I inevitably explored Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Land Rover and they all did me an enormous favour having delivery lead times of nine months, else I would never have walked into a Mazda Showroom, but I am glad I did. My new Sole Red Crystal CX60 'Homura' with Driver Assistance and Convenience Pack has blown me away, and was almost £15,000 less than the equivalent German or UK 'premium' top specification comparable SUV vehicle. I reckon Mazda has produced a real winner here and with good marketing, will succeed in its aim of tempting those previously loyal to European premium brands, just as it has with me.

Its technology and driver support exceeds both my (top of the range) Mercedes and my former (top of the range) Jaguar XJL (that was originally, £98,000 on the road). It has taken me a while to discover all of the Mazda's hidden treasures, but features like controlling navigation or entertainment by voice control are there. I simply don't get why many reviewers are criticising Mazda's sensible safety decision that the Information Panel is not touch control when the Controller **** is convenient and Voice Control is safest of all. Maybe they couldn't be bothered to set up Apple Car-Play? The interior exceeds my Mercedes that had cloth seats inset into mock leather and a lot of black plastic. The Mazda feels more luxurious and is in Range Rover or Jaguar luxury territory.

Until one has hit a deep pothole in a Mercedes or Jaguar with 20" low profile tyres, nobody should moan about ride and suspension, so I don't get why some reviewers are criticising that for the Mazda. I replaced three expensive (run-flat) Mercedes front tyres in three years due to pot-hole damage and scuffed two alloys. Many UK roads are now surprisingly treacherous in that context. By contrast, the Mazda CX60 takes them in its stride, and the PHEV is surprisingly quicker than the Mercedes three litre turbo-diesel. So far, fuel consumption has been pretty good, but the current temporary high price of UK Grid electricity is distorting the charging costs somewhat, with it being unusually more expensive than Gas (Petrol). That should rectify by July if predictions are correct. I consciously went for a PHEV as the UK infrastructure isn't fully ready for electricity only and deprecation for Tesla's and other all electric vehicles is alarming. due to battery replacement costs. It is my first experience of electric motoring and albeit limited to 60Km range before gas is required I like it.

I realise that the CX60 possibly isn't coming to the USA which will instead see the similar CX90 (etc), but it is an awesome car, already winning the Scottish Motoring Journalists Car of the Year 2023 and in the top ten for European Car of the Year (albeit made in Japan)..I am delighted with my purchase and can see many other enlightened former Mercedes and BMW owners switching loyalty once word gets out it is so good. Those that don't must have money to burn and are failing to recognise value.

Last edited by Noah4x4; 03-12-2023 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:34 AM
BWJ

+1 :-)

Old 03-19-2023, 01:09 PM

Welcome to the forum

Old 03-21-2023, 05:54 PM

Welcome to the forum. It is great hearing how much you like your new Mazda. I agree with the comparison to the more expensive brands. I am disappointed that we can't get the CX-60 in the US but we get a lot of great Mazdas.

It is also great that you find the no touch screen infotainment system acceptable. I am frustrated with mine, but as you mention, I don't typically use Android Auto and find it extremely frustrating to find a hospital or gas station without stopping.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:46 AM

Very interested in your comparison with more 'elite' vehicles - never having had a chance to own one. Also very pleased with my new CX60 which I bought due to stock availability after I smashed up my Skoda Superb IV L&K... but that's another story.

I do find the suspension rather 'live' and hard after a vehicle with a choice of suspension settings, and the transmission can get a bit confused. If Mazda provided a suspension upgrade and sorted the transmission software, they would blast the market! The transmission can be quite odd... Has anyone throttled back and experienced a slight surge forward... or throttled back to turn left/right on a slightly rising road? The poor transmission does a double-take on this one. I think one of the 'problems' may be that they have done away with the fluid flywheel and re-introduced a multiple series of clutch plates - awesome for pulling away with 320bhp, but maybe a bit harsh in other circumstances.

These issues have been well documented, though. Does anyone know whether Mazda are doing anything about it?

The interior is excellent! The huge center console between front driver and passenger; the tilting rear seat backs; heated/cooled front seats; heated rear seats; huge boot; Bose speaker system; NON touchscreen infotainment ; super-efficient air conditioning; 240V sockets; ...etc, etc (I receive no commission from sales resulting from this article! )

Oh, I do miss my Skoda Superb L&K driver's massage seat!

Old 02-21-2024, 10:33 AM

It has been a while since this thread ran out of steam, so thought I might update it with my experience over twelve months. I wasn't ever driving a bad car on delivery, but my dealer has done a fantastic job making it better. It has had the revised (Mazda factory fitted) shocks, then dealer fitted improved door insulation, umpteen software updates and a couple of recalls.

I only rarely suffered the reported transmission surge as a new owner, and there was a software update that improved it. However, I now drive only in Normal Mode and have since never experienced it. My car still starts in EV and the ICE kicks in when I accelerate. However, leaving the car to do all of the thinking (rather than my right foot) seems to cure 99% of glitches plus its fuel consumption and range economy improves. The car also distinctly learns from how you drive. After any update, it seems to take a couple of journeys to fully settle down. Now after a year and 7,800 miles, mine drives great.

If people do remain uncomfortable with the revised Mazda suspension (which is quite subjective, as the Mazda has always been better than my horrible run flat low profiles on my former Mercedes), Try inflating your (Alenza) tyres to 38 PSI front and 41 PSI rear. This is still below the five person, fully loaded specification. I found running on 36/36 PSI far less comfortable.