Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

New potential Mazda 5 owner has questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:18 AM
Default New potential Mazda 5 owner has questions

Hi,

First time poster, and potential first time Mazda owner.

My wife and I are looking around for a mid size MPV which will make it easy to get the kids in and out of the back and with our combined experiences of European cars in recent years we thought we'd look at Japanese manufacturers this time with a view to improve reliability.

So, we have both settled on a Mazda5 2.0D sport as our number one option, basically because of the sliding rear doors making it easy to get the kids in and out of the child seats.

My questions for the group are really about reliability and anything to look out for as we are not likley to be buying brand new. I know of the tyrewear issue and from what I have read on www.honestjohn.co.uk I believe this has been addressed along with some more sound proofing in the facelift cars from 2008.

Are there any other big areas of concern in terms of reliability? Also, what typically do you get form MPG on a 143hp diesel? I assume it's better than the 32mpg we get from the petrol 307 we have now?

Thanks for any advice.

Garry

Old 02-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Default 2006 - Not A Good Vintage!

Hi Garry,

from my own experiences I would avoid buying anything older than an 07 plate. My 56 plate still feels like a prototype! It creaks and groans all Winter. From comparing notes with fellow 2.0D Sport owners on here, I think the newer (08 onwards maybe) cars are more efficient too, I really struggle to get 40mpg out of mine, whereas owners of newer cars report regular 45mpg. I'm usually experiencing 36-ish mpg.

Try to get a car with some warranty left on it too! There are a few common things that Mazda fix without question IF YOU SPOT THEM, but not as a matter of course: In my case I have had a hydraulic pipe replaced in the power steering (which cures a screeching noise when reversing and turning), the gear linkage replaced, which would occassionally feel wonky, and all four alloy wheels replaced due to blistering on the surface. As I say, all three of these problems were known to Mazda but are not considered essential, so they are only carried out if you point them out. The only other warranty work I have had was the horn replaced, which went short and blew the fuse.

The tyre wear when the car was new almost drove me demented. This went away after the supplied Dunlops were replaced (wrecked) and different brands were fitted.

All my moans aside - I love my car. It shifts when you need it to, the sliding doors are superb, The stereo is fantastic (I did have the Pioneer speaker upgrade so that probably helps), 6 mp3 CDs in the changer means about 55 Albums loaded at any time. The sat-nav is over-priced but extremely clear and easy to use.

Any other questions you might have - feel free to ask.

Dave.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:07 PM

I have a 2008 Mazda 5 Sport with the Diesel Engine.

It's a great car I've done just short of 16,000 trouble free miles with total average MPG of 45.9. I also use mine for towing a caraven as well as general driving, my wife loves it as do the children, it's a brilliant all rounder, great drivers car. It may seem a little stiff on the suspension after a Peugeot my last car was a 406 so I should know.

I like this car much better than the 406, it may not be perfect, but for the price you get a lot of car and that engine is sweet if a little noisey when cold and it growls if you accelerate hard

If you can get the Facelift model you should be OK as far as tyre wear I'm still on the first set and they are hardly worn.

I looked at all the others and this car still seems the best choice to me. I'm pretty certain I'll be getting another when it's time to change this one.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:21 PM

I bought the Sport Nav 2.0D (143PS) in Nov 08 when it was 8 months old.

1.So far pleased with it, however not sure of the technician's competence since it took 3 visits to correct a faulty elect window switch which appears not faulty in the first place, all it needed was resetting according to the service Manager.

2. the expensive Navigation system has NOT got the TMC enabled due to some licensing issue. my previous car (Toyota Avensis) had the TMC which is very useful on Motorway or long journeys.

3.if using all 6 (or 7) seats the luggage area cover will have to be left behind.

4. I have only managed between 38.5 and 39.2 mpg on Urban runs.

5. I find the bluetooth and voice command are useful.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:07 PM

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding. (not good etiquette for a newbie)

Thanks for the feedback, I had heard that the facelift model fixed a lot of the smaller complaints and was the one to go for.

I have seen some 08 and 58 plate 2.0D Sports coming to the market at around £13-14k with around 6k miles on the clock and am planning to look at some this week.

I have also seen a couple of 08's with 13k miles for £13k - given that the first service is due 12,500 (I assume it is, the Parkers website suggested 12.5k service intervals) and I have read on here that it's not a cheap service on the diesels I might look at those and push for them to have included the service in the cost and save the £350 in a few months that the lower mileage ones have done.

Thanks again for the responses
Garry

Old 03-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Wink My pennies worth

I got a Mazda 5 2l Petrol Sport. I get an overall average of 30MPG. I've done 14500 mile since getting it in mid July 2008 (08). It is very quick and fast (i cannot say here how fast). It handles well in the dry but I find it terrible in the wet with th Dunlop 2050 (17" wheels). The BT hands free is great and the controls for cruise and the music on the steering wheel are great (less though for the dash mounted part). The tyres have worn past the tread now on all the inner edges (it even seems to be a part that doesn't touch the road though). The speedo is well out by about 10% (140 clock = 127 gps), for example an indicated 50mpg is, according to more than 1 GPS running at the same time shows 45mph. I now most cars are bad and show less than actual for obvious reasons, but this is excessive. I used it in the snow but only with the use of Autosock (sock 645 for the 205/55 x17) see picture. It was fantastic I had to drive across (up and down twice) a snow covered valley to the surgery for a prescription. The clearance isn't (support strut close and sharp) ideal but as long as you stay at the recommended speed 30mph (50kph). I have bought another pair to put on the rear to keep control of rear in really bad conditions. In this weather I keep them under the bonnet infront of the battery box/cover. They did not slip once, and the DSC and ABS worked there magic too. I'm happy with the car despite the tyre issue. I didn't buy the diesel version because the difference between the initial cost of each and the amount of fuel/mileage needed to go by without any other problem before that cost was realised was crazy with the fuel price. Sit down and work it out using other users worse MPG figures. I am not easy on the speed, if you know what I mean, yet get 30MPG. I bought some very nice wind screen deflectors too that set it off nicely from e-bay front and rear.

Attached Thumbnails New potential Mazda 5 owner has questions-p1010754-1.jpg   New potential Mazda 5 owner has questions-p1010345.jpg  

Last edited by GSX600FMAN; 03-08-2009 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Added picture