Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Help me please !

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Question Help me please !

I have been looking a round at various cars for the last month or so and I think I have found the answer.

I'm looking for an occasioanl seven seater, diesel - currently I have a RAV4 (57 Plate) and I love it but I can't get a new RAV with 7 seats.

Basically, it's come down to a choice between the Toyota Verso or the Mazda 5. I like the Mazda 5 more, however I'm worried about the comments around tyre wear.

Has this now been resolved on the UK spec car - the model I'm after is the Furano - will be brand new (10 plate). I noticed from the poll, that it appears to be mainly older models and I see it seems to be around the 2.0D Sport specifically. Appreciating the fact the the Furano is only an updated sport, I wondered if I'm right to be concerned...........

Any advice greatly received !

FC

Old 06-09-2010, 03:12 AM

We had the same choice and I'm glad we chose the Mazda. We've a 2.0D Sport Nav with luxury pack on a 2008 plate.
First set of tyres lasted 22000 miles with the edges wearing out before the centre (they weren't illegal at this point but probably only had 500 miles to go before the tread pattern was gone).
I've changed to Bridgestone Potenza RE050A which have now done around 8000 miles with no noticeable wear on the edges and the ride is quieter with better handling.
I hope the problem is sorted with better alignment by now but I really don't know. Some seem to be worse than others, ours isn't too bad.
Probably doesn't help much, but it's a better car than the Toyota which drives like an old man's car...mind you if you are an old man then it'll probably suit

Old 06-09-2010, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the help, I was hoping to get more than 1 opinion, but 1 opinion is better than 0 !

I drove the Toyota and your right, it's no where near as good a drive, however I'm on my 3rd Toyota now and the only time it ever sees the garage is for a service - it's done 53k miles, and I have changed the front tyres twice in 3 years and the rears once so all in all pretty good. I'm concerned about the horror stories here so thought I'd ask

I'm guessing a lot depends on use, for 90% of the time it will only be me in the car so no heavy loading, I guess that will help rather then having a full car all the time.

Guess it affects some and not others, people are always keen to air bad points, but it's rare anyone posts saying how great things are !

Thanks again

FC

Old 06-09-2010, 02:10 PM

I have 58 plate 2.0D sport, and no the problem hasn't been fixed.
It is helped by increasing the pressures above what is recommended and changing the make of tyres. At 13K my fronts were dangerous. The problem is you can't have a quick look at the tyres, you have to inspect them weekly. The tyres will wear a bit more than you have become accustomed to, but not much.

All cars have issues, and I would rather have a consumable issue than a permanent mechanical issue. If you don't do many miles, I would avoid the Diesel, the Furano is the petrol?? and if it really worries you but you still like the car either lower the spec level, which is pretty good in these, or fit some 16" wheels.
The biggest gripe is the dealers attitude. If Mazda and the dealers would admit the obvious and stop treating us as stupid then things would improve.

It certainly lacks the quality of the toyota though, but is nicer inside and out, and more fun to drive. I love it, but next time I would get the petrol, as the DPF system Mazda employ is another mess. I would still however get the sport, with the 17's on it.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the comments, for me i cover nearly 20k per year so Diesel is the only option - the furano is available in either Diesl or Petrol (although it's around a 10 Wk delivery for a diesel !)

Guess I'll bite the bullet and see what I can do to mitigate the tyre waer - seems like over inflating may be the answer.

Cheers for the note.

FC

Old 06-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Default Ordered

I have just ordered a new Furano - mainly due to the offers at the moment.

The salesman went to Primary school with my wife and he assured us that the tyre wear issue is sorted.........

I wonder.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:20 PM

I'll throw in an opinion too! : (or does that say onion? where's my glasses?)

I agree with Coney, keep the tyres a couple of psi above the recommended pressure, and when/if the first set of tyres give excessive wear at the edges, change the brand of tyre when replacing. My original Dunlops were rubbish, subsequent Bridgestones, Michelin, Star Performer and currently Falkens have all been fine. My car has rolled over 70,000 miles this week. I love it.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:35 PM

Either go for the best spec'ed 16inch wheeled version you can afford or go for the 17 inch but put more pressure in the front than mazda say. Look at the tyre and see what the maximum is printed on the tyre but put 38psi in. This will give the effect of raising and stiffening the side wall and allow more of the normal tread pattern to be on the road. But do monitor the inner edge. I tend to park now finishing up on full lock 1 way or another to give the casual opportunity to get a real good look at tread. I Just got 4 new wheels (warranty) and a new pair of Continental contisport3 (i got approx 13000miles @38psi still legal and no inner edge wear) on the front. Whereas the first 2 sets of Dunlops were down to carcass and canvass on the front inner edges while still having over 4mm tread all round.
By the way your salesman is lying about the issue being sorted. He has fooled himself and therefore you that the issue with the rear is the issue with the front we have:- quote from Mazda UK
'...became aware of unusual wear to the inner edges on rear tyres on earlier Mazda5 Sport/Furano models in the Spring of 2007. Once this situation had been recognised, we were able to establish that the wheel alignment settings on the Sport and Furano models needed a narrower range of the acceptable tolerance in the wheel alignment settings than the rest of the Mazda5 range.This was due to the 17" alloy wheels on the Sport and Furano models: the rest of the range has 15" and 16" wheels...... In addition, modified Dunlop tyres were also fitted at manufacturer. (I know this to be a lie) ..... Your vehicle (mine is an 08 received in July 2008) was produced after this adjustment, which means that it left the factory with the modified tyres and settings. As a result, the bulletin we issued to our dealers regarding this issue does not apply to your car.....'
Ask your salesman friend that to settle an argument can he show or give you the bulletin that describes the fault and the cure of the front tyre wear issue. (I say it is not officially recognised as of yet) No matter how you or anyone else asks you will not get any proof of our front tyre inner edge wear being recognised or cured. He or any other salesman or dealer will not be able to produce a bulletin or proof about our current issue (you will be shown the Spring 2007 rear wheel issue). Nothing for the 2008 to 2010 mazda 5 Sport or Furano (if it has 17" wheels). Sorry!

Last edited by GSX600FMAN; 06-13-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 AM

I've recently purchased the Furano 2.0D. The comments regard tyres didn't put me off and so far I'm very pleased with the car. In the past I've had Audi A6 and Volvo V70, both went through tyres in 12 months it depends on the drive and some cars go through tyres more than others. Given the comments on this site the later models seem to be better. To get longer out of the tyres, rotate them when they start to show wear before they need to be changed.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:50 PM

I know this is an older thread but the Mazda 5 only seats 6 and you stated that you want a 7 seater. Try the CX-9.