Mazda CX-60 This Plug-In Hybrid (PHEV) SUV is for folks who want to get out and go off-road while being environmentally friendly!

Fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 03:44 AM
Default Fuel consumption

Hi, Can someone tell me what is the fuel consumption in real life for Mazda CX60 PHEV petrol.
thanks

Old 02-17-2024, 09:20 AM

Welcome to the forum

It will vary depending on your location,the miles on the engine and transmission and the stae of health of both as well your personal driving habbits.

The better question is to post what you are getting and ask if it on PAR with others of similar situation to yours?

Old 02-21-2024, 10:01 AM

My CX60 is twelve months old (7,800 miles) and I plug it in nightly, hence typically it has 30+ EV miles available each and every day. Much of my 'daily commute' type driving is EV, but I do perhaps two trips per month ranging from 200 to 400 miles where my EV battery inevitably becomes depleted, but then I tend to then hit the <Charge> button, which seems to defy the laws of physics as it will recharge the battery to 80% with negligible impact on fossil fuel consumption. This is perhaps as close to a regular "Hybrid" mode as one can get with a PHEV. If you simply burn petrol for umpteen miles after the battery is depleted, the economics might not stack up. Similarly, I charge my car at home for merely a few pence per kWh. I never charge it using a public charger when distant as 79p per kWH is a rip off. Using the <Charge> button and petrol to recharge it is more econioical, even if not intuitively so. Public chargers are extortionate.

I always drive in Normal mode, as allowing the car to think for itself eliminates a host of perceived glitches (like transmission) and also seems to enhance fuel consumption . Over 12 months, my petrol consumption has comfortably exceeded 60 MPG, largely because of the benefit of the available (daily) battery charge. Of course, if I was travelling 200+ miles each and every day I suspect this might be closer 40MPG (which I might exceed on a single journey). Whether a PHEV is right for you depends wholly on how you use it, how many miles you do between charges and how often you plug it in. Heavy mileage drivers will find the diesel more economical, but maybe not as much fun. BTW, my car has had all the recalls, updates and fixes and now runs fantastic. Early production cars were a bit shoddy.

Interestingly, I recently had the use of an almost new Volvo XC60 PHEV on hire for two weeks that had patently never before been plugged in as on delivery it was reporting merely 31 MPG. On its return to the hire company, I had travelled about 300 miles and used zero petrol (as I plugged it in most nights). The hike in its reported MPG was considerable. The reality is that if you never plug in a PHEV, then fuel consumption will be awful as you are driving a much heavier car due to the extra battery weight. You have to plug it in to benefit. Trying to run it like a regular mild hybrid won't produce the best result, noting that the Mazda (or Volvo) PHEVs exceed two tonnes.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:11 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm thinking to buy used CX60 sometime this year. I don't have a driveway so charging at home is impossible but have access to charger at work which I can use it for free. I drive 13 miles each way to work half on motorway and half in town. 40 mpg purely on petrol for car of this size is not bad at all, this is what I'm getting from my 68 plate mazda 6 petrol. Do you know how fast you can go just on electric motor?

Last edited by Dan1981; 02-23-2024 at 02:53 PM.