Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

What am I doing wrong? 2023 base CX-5 MRCC erratic

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by dannyw
I’ll check but they detailed it just before I picked it up so unless they messed something up it should not be a problem.
i had my windshield replaced last week. the autoglass shop had to take the car to Mazda to have the camera "calibrated".could this be an issue with your car? also, i find naming the feature stop & go kind of misleading because in stop and go traffic, the car stops but won't go until I hit the gas pedal (a safety feature that I actually like because I don't want my car to take off on its own without my input)

Old 08-07-2023, 06:05 PM

Well I have a little over 1k miles on it now and more experience with the cruise control behavior. I think that most if not all of what I am noticing is simply a limitation of the limited sensors on the base model. The only other adaptive cruise control that I have used is on my wife’s Lincoln Nautilus and that works flawlessly but it also has 360 degree sensors which the base Mazda lacks. As I understand it the only sensor is in the front emblem and the limitations are apparent. For example, if I am following somebody driving slower than my set speed the car will slow to match the speed, but even a very slight curve causes a loss of sensor contact and my vehicle speeds up very quickly until I get around the curve and it “sees” the other car again, at which time it brakes quickly to match speeds. I find this quick response to be very unsafe and Mazda should provide some sort of timing delay before reacting so quickly. I would expect that the higher trims with the 360 cameras would respond better in this situation. As it stands the adaptive portion of the cruise control is really only useful on straight highways, and otherwise should be treated as a “standard” cruise control (which is what I now do). Does any of this make sense?

Old 08-07-2023, 06:47 PM

Yes, it does make sense to me. I have a 2018 GT and mine operates similarly. There are times when I just have to disable it depending on the road and how close I am following the car in front.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:56 PM
Default Like all technology, use with caution

I purchased my 2023 CX-5 in Premium Plus trim on July 15. As of now it has a bit over 750 miles, and it had 55 miles at the time of purchase. Mine does have the adaptive cruise control and even without cruise control, most times the vehicle will slow down upon approaching another vehicle. I also have the distance set to the maxium setting. There are sometimes it does not appear to work, though it is just as likely due to an inexperienced operator who never had one of these systems before. I drive 12-13 miles each way to work, all on surface streets, and this automobile has not been on a freeway. I do drive it 35 miles roundtrip each Sunday morning, out in the country so I get little chance to learn the system then. In the long term I would not rely on it, but welcome it as an additional safety feature. I have successfully had the automobile come to a complete stop without braking, then accelerate back to crusing speed again as the traffic ahead of me moves forward. I am continuing to lear and may ask about it at the first service which will not be for months, or when my clear coat protectant is applied, hopefully in the next several weeks.

Old 08-08-2023, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by dannyw
Hello all, new to the forum today. I have had 2 Mazdas in the past (1990 323 hatchback and 2009 Miata Sport) and just bought my 3rd one - a red CX-5 2.5S base model with no options (but very well equipped). All of the Mazdas I have owned have been base models and have been great to me (my 323 didn’t even have a radio!). Anyway I obviously am still getting used to the car (picked it up Monday night) but the biggest concern right now is that the adaptive cruise control (I think they call it MRCC) seemed to operate very erratically. It is easy to turn on and set speed and all is well usually but I have noticed it disengage itself for no apparent reason multiple times, the speed adaptation when approaching a car does not always work, and it never ever slows more than a few mph. Several times as I came up on a slower car it got close enough to sound the 3 beep signal that an object ahead was too close. YouTube videos show the car slowing to a stop behind another car and then starting back up once the car ahead starts moving; mine will never do that. I realize that mine is a base model but Mazda doesn’t indicate anywhere that the version of MRCC is somehow limited. I feel like I must be doing something wrong, but what? Any ideas?
I shut down all the systems I can for different reasons - lane departure / SCBS -and dont use cruise - I have a 23 which I also " just bought " - and like you have had a longstanding ownersip history with Mazda - and frankly the technology is the only issue I have - I just plain dont like it - the power seat tries out outthink me when getting in , the city brake support left me at a dead stop in the middle of an intersection ( it operated properly but think its good only in ideal circumstances) - all that said -If we wanted bose ...the carrot on the stick we needed to go to premium so im stuck learning how to shut down and disable all this tech garbage - give me ABS , stability control w/ on -off option - im happy -
Since its new - Did the salesperson do a delivery and demonstrate all the features ?
I think someone else said go to the dealer as well - but with all the quirks in this stuff - go to person that got paid on your purchase - A good delivery could take up to 1.5 hours if they go thru the owners manual, warranty , service schedule , and then of course all the hands on fearures of the vehicle - Go back and have them show you how it works - on a ridecalong delivery drive- possibly you are doing sonething that causes the shut down -

Hope it gets worked out !
-