Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Considering a CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 09:46 AM
Default Considering a CX-5

Hi everyone, New here , looking forward to reading everyones advice.

Im considering a CX-5 and am hoping to hear from owners of the CX-5 and your experience of the car.

I want to know how quiet do you find your CX-5? I ask as i suffer with a condition called Tinnitus and loud noises make it worse and this includes being exposed to loud cabin, tyre, wind noise everyday.

My sister drives a Kia Rio (2018 model) and i have only passed my test 3 months ago. My sister taught me in her car as i could not learn to drive with earbuds in by an instructor so she taught me instead and i did my test in her car. But even my sisters car is loud at speed\ on the motorway. So im looking for a quieter car so i dont need earbuds or earmuffs ( i had to wear these when my sister takes me to work and when were on the motorway)

I really love the CX-5 and its in my budget , i love the interior and exterior design. I have done a 24hr test drive of the new model and found it quiet but i want to check it is as quiet as i think.

Friends with tinnitus have said to get either a Land rover evoque , audi Q5 or lexus NX but all 3 are out of budget and too expensive. And the evoque i just dont like.

Have you found the CX-5 quiet? My sister told me the new model i test drove has better sound proofing as mazda are improving on there soud deadning is this true?

Old 10-20-2019, 11:25 AM

The CX-5 (2017 model years and newer) is indeed quiet. This is one major issue Mazda addressed and I am impressed how quiet it is. Some reviewers compared it against Lexus SUV's which are more expensive and find the CX-5 as quiet as they are.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
The CX-5 (2017 model years and newer) is indeed quiet. This is one major issue Mazda addressed and I am impressed how quiet it is. Some reviewers compared it against Lexus SUV's which are more expensive and find the CX-5 as quiet as they are.
Interesting, i test drove a lexus NX as well but i found the NX noiser than the CX-5 which suprised me as there supposed to be quiet. There wasnt a massive difference but i just found the CX-5 a tad quieter.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:23 PM

I, too, have tinnitus as a result of playing with M60 tanks and shooting M16's while on a government sponsored, all expensive paid, one year vacation to southeast Asia in the early 70's. However, yours sounds worse than mine. I have a 2014 CX5 which I find very quiet compared to most other vehicles and I understand the newer ones are even more soundproofed. It is quite a lot of car for the money.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg
I, too, have tinnitus as a result of playing with M60 tanks and shooting M16's while on a government sponsored, all expensive paid, one year vacation to southeast Asia in the early 70's. However, yours sounds worse than mine. I have a 2014 CX5 which I find very quiet compared to most other vehicles and I understand the newer ones are even more soundproofed. It is quite a lot of car for the money.
I agree its a lot of car for the money and its one of the few cars that turns my head when i see one i just think the look so beautiful and cool and i loved driving it on the 24hr test drive. Its nice to hear from someone with the condition. Mine is in both ears and is reactive to certain things like last year i lost my GSD but my Tinnitus kept spiking while i had him as he was very vocal. So i knew i could never have another but just like im doing with my car i researched quiet dog breeds and got a beautiful Rottweiler last year as hes waaay quieter than my Shep. He hardley barks which is good for my ears as iv not had one spike.

So far it seems good for the CX-5 and im glad others find it as quiet as i did on a test drive.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:18 PM

The CX-5 is quiet except under full throttle. Mazda uses Lamisafe Japanese made AGC Laminated windshields and front glass on the 17+ CX-5.

Since you said you have Tinnitus, get the sport or touring with the 17" wheels for the quietest ride (16" would be even quieter, but not offered as standard). Wheel size makes a big difference in noise transferred to cabin.

Also note Mazda dealers tend to overinflate tire pressures because the vehicles are shipped that way from Japan, vehicle rides nice and quiet at factory spec.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:17 PM

Welcome to the forum. Mazda has done a lot to reduce the road noise in its vehicles. This is one area where they needed to make improvements and they have been successful. It would be hard for me to say if the CX-5 is better or worse than the other vehicles on the market. More important, it would likely be hard for anyone other than yourself, to judge if the sound in the CX-5 is better or worse at the specific frequencies that bother you. I encourage you to try out as many vehicles as you can to find the best vehicle for you.

I will add that the Mazdas I have owned have remained fairly consistent over the years. Some vehicles tend to have far more road noise after 100,000 miles and my experience that the sound in Mazdas does not deteriorate. O

While I know you are looking at the CX-5, however, the 2019 Mazda3 is incredibly quiet. They have been extremely successful in reducing the road noise in the latest generation. I also will bet that the upcoming CX-30 will also be an extremely quiet vehicle when it hits the market in a few months.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:15 AM

Seen your post. I love the 1 year paid vacation comment.

Thank you for your service .

When I lived in Maryland I was on a team of volunteers that had the honor of washing the WALL once a month. It was also personal to me finding names of guys I went to school with as well as a few from basic training.

Salute !

Jim

Old 10-23-2019, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Detroit1
Seen your post. I love the 1 year paid vacation comment.

Thank you for your service .

When I lived in Maryland I was on a team of volunteers that had the honor of washing the WALL once a month. It was also personal to me finding names of guys I went to school with as well as a few from basic training.

Salute !

Jim
Serving was an honor. I joke about the "vacation," but I entered the service through ROTC at a time when that was not popular and volunteered for Viet Nam. Had a friend whose girlfriend convinced him to drop out of ROTC in college because she was a bit of a hippy and he was an education major and she didn't think he would be drafted. I ran into him in Viet Nam when he was a SP4 and I was a 1LT. He still married her.

Thank you for honoring those who served and for your service in maintaining the wall. I have several friends on there as well and every time I go there, it is an emotional experience.

Now, back to the topic at hand.

Old 10-23-2019, 04:54 PM

Cx-5, 2017 or newer, 65 decibels at 70mph according to car and driver. It’s fantastically quiet.
Our CX-5 is a 2014 and it's fairly quiet. Outside of tire noise, it's all about drive-train noise, wind noise and body soundproofing from what's going on outside. (The later models have more of this padding I think).
The expensive Tesla Model-X is about as quiet as it gets right now. (For reference only!)
Also, if you can wait : https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/9/18...m-car-ces-2019

That being said, find an old Lincoln Town Car in good shape. They were quiet I can tell you. 😉
Thank you for your service to our country. Happy Hunting.

Quick Reply: Considering a CX-5